Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pot in the oven, and they are smelling up the house pretty nice. Do Northerners, Easterners and Westerners also eat them on New Year's Day?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Soaked them all night and they have been in the crock pot with ham and rotel most of the day and I am getting hungry.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My grandmother was German and lived in the northeast. Every New Year's Day she would eat pickled herring for good luck in the new year. I don't even think you can buy pickled herring in Texas.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine are finished. Soaked overnight in salted water (about 1 tablespoon salt for a quart of water and 1lb dried peas). Cooked them with chopped onion, ham, smoked pieces of pork fat, thyme, basil, and marjoram (all dried), 2 cups chicken broth and about 3 cups water, a little more salt and about 2 teaspoons sugar. Then I heat them up on the stove top in a 7 quart Dutch oven and then stick in the oven at 300 degrees for two hours. Remove and chop up the ham and discard the pork fat. Then, if the broth is too thin, cook on the stove top to boil it down, if needed.

I have some left over boiled shrimp, and that is really good mixed in, as it turns out.

That's how I do it.

Neil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts