Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bum shoulder. I saw an orthopedic surgeon a couple weeks ago and we tried a cortisone shot first to see if that would help relieve the pain. It worked well for about 10 days, but now the nagging pain is back. He did xrays in his office and nothing major showed up, but I have 2 bone spurs. I know bee venom therapy is used to treat arthritis and it probably won't help with bone spur pain but I thought I'd give it a shot, especially before having a medical procedure done.

So, how do you go about getting the bee to sting you where you want it to? I have mastered the "art" of having them sting me where I don't want them too. LOL I guess I'll head off to Youtube.com to watch some videos but would like to hear firsthand from some who have done this already. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have read that bee venom dissolves bone spurs in the heel so it would probably help any spur. Worth a shot. People sting for lots of different things.

We have iced a spot first, dried it and then stung. Grasp a bee by the thorax or head with a reverse (clamping) tweezers. Position them on the spot and if they don't sting, tap their abdomen on the top. Just watch the finger. For some reason, if the wet spot from the ice is not dabbed, the sting spot stings more than un-iced. I don't know why.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I grab them by the wings and then set them where I want to get stung, the push them down until they sting me. The problem is if I need to be stung where I can't reach! I don't know if it will help with your bone spurs, but trying it would not hurt. It sure helps with my arthritis and nerve pains.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I sting myself on a regular basis to keep up my venom resistance, and also for joint pain relief. It does help, but bone spurs can be difficult to deal with. For typical arthritic pain in joints it really seems helpful in temporary pain relief.

I bought several reverse tweezers similar to the ones on the link below. When I'm at the hives I'll catch a handful of bees in a jar and bring them home. The jar goes in the refrigerator for a while until they cool down and become paralyzed. Then they are dumped out and secured by the wings with the reverse tweezers. After a few minutes in the warm air they perk back up. Then it's easy to administer the sting to the exact location as needed.

http://www.shopjoya.com/p-34747-45-...gclid=CLmYyrb6xb4CFagWMgodVDgAKQ#.U4FLnHamV8w

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to give it a shot. It can't hurt. Mike, my venom resistance is already built up for the year the all natural way. LOL

Ray, I'm going to try it on the back of my neck as well. I have 3 vertebrae fused together and have arthritis in the surrounding joints. I'm SURE my wife will volunteer to administer the stings. :)

EDIT: So how many stings to start with and how often? As I said above, I'm not worried about a bad reaction to the stings, I'm to the point already this year that I have no swelling at all and very little if any itching.

Also, thanks for the link to the reverse tweezers. I have never seen them before.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Since you already have a good resistance built up, it may take a few, but I always start with one. I know in less than an hour if it is going to help. There have been times when I've given 3 to a spot. I've been known to sting at the base of each finger on a hand too. You'll just have to try it out and see what it takes for you, or if it will even give any relief.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Brad, when I was having problems with my shoulder I would give myself 4 or 5 stings in various places on the shoulder on a regular basis and it did help to relieve the pain. I was able to manage the pain with sting therapy for a few years but eventually had to have surgery to remove the spurs.

I still use sting therapy on my knees, usually 3 on each knee does the trick. Like Ray said, you'll have to try it out and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow. I sure hope to be able to avoid surgery but it may be inevitable. I've been under the knife twice in the past 3 years so I would sure like to prolong this if possible. Good news is, it only bothers me if I'm working or resting or asleep or awake. Other than that I never notice it.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brad Bee,

In case you didn't notice, there is an apitherapy section on Beesource. Lots of information there.
Thanks, I didn't notice and I looked before posting the original question. :) I guess I poorly looked.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't suit up, so I made a quick grab into a nuc a few minutes ago and shook about 20 bees into a Mason jar. I've got them in the freezer to knock them down. I guess I'll be provoking a bee sting shortly, if I can work up the nerve to do so. LOL I've had countless shots given to me by nurses and my wife but I can't force myself to give myself one. I hope the same doesn't hold true for bee stings....

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did it. I took a total of four stings to my right shoulder. The last one was on target. When it stung I felt the nerve that runs up my neck and through my shoulder. That one sting made a huge difference. After the first three, I pinpointed the pain and drew a small circle on my shoulder with a sharpie marker. The 4th sting was on target. I don't know how long it will last and I certainly hope none of it is a placebo effect but within 1 minute of the last sting I had no shoulder pain. Nice warm feeling now.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Very Good Brad!!!
Now that you found that one spot, don't lose it! When pains come back, sting that spot again. One should do the trick now that you found the trigger point for the pain. I hope you get good results from this.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I mainly have arthritis in my hands. I have been using sting therapy since I started handling bees. I dont wear gloves and They seem to know when I need a dose....:lpf:
Good luck Brad, it does help my hands. G

·
Registered
215 Posts
Any time I get a sting, it completely takes my mind off of any other pain that I am having! It makes every other pain seem like nothing. As a matter of fact, a good sting keeps my focus for several days at least ;)

I hear that it really gives relief of other pains, but honestly, I dont think I could do it on purpose.

Rob

·
Registered
213 Posts
My family have used apitherapy for over 40 years. Many of us have experienced reduced or total loss of pain. I've had as few as 1 sting remove pain in my rotator cuff area for 3 yrs now, and knuckles, however my left knee took 20 or so to go away. Perhaps sometimes it requires that exact spot to work properly. We successfully put my mother's RA in remission on a couple of different occasions. It at least bought her many years without pain. Haven't heard the bone spur thing though. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was able to sleep last night without my shoulder waking me up. I do have soreness in my shoulder now on the muscle that runs over the top front of the shoulder. That is where my pain has been. If the first "treatment" gave me 18 hours without pain of any sort, I will definitely be trying it again.

Rob, I wasn't sure I could do it either but it wasn't a problem. I CAN NOT give myself a shot so I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to do it.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I tell you, the ice beforehand makes a difference in pain of most stings (except probably for the most tender spots). Ice takes down the punch quite a bit if not all. You may or may not even feel a little bit as the site warms up. Tender spots feel better when a warm rice bag is applied right after the stings. We do not ice after the stings.

Many times my back spine was iced and then stung and I could not tell if the first one was even in yet and here the second one had just been placed.

Had asthma-like symptoms and stinging took away the 24/7 wheezing. Worked for 9 months after I quit stinging and started slowly getting it back. Maintenance stings are recommended. Well worth it. You may need a stinging helper to get the back areas. Leave stingers in 15 minutes before removing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts