Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about a dozen frames of honey sitting in the garage. Three or four that I saved in from this fall in case I needed to use them for emergency feed and the rest from two hives that didn't make it through the arctic blast (leaving me with one top bar only). I was going to extract some of them since I won't need that many to support new packages in the spring, but noticed that many of the uncapped cells with some honey in them are full of white specks. I assume this is mold of some sort but was wondering if anyone has seen it before. The spots are in the frames I stored in the garage and those I recovered from the dead hives. I was wondering if I can still extract these frames to eat, feed them to package bees, or do they need to be discarded? The bulk of the honey is in capped cells and I assume is just fine; however, I don't think there is any feasible way to get at it without mixing it with the uncapped.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I certainly wouldn't disgard the frames. the bees would clean up anything in no time. It may just be bits of crystalized honey. I have seen what you are talking about and didn't give it much thought. If you extracted the honey, it would certainly kill anything alive. I would certainly eat and enjoy it myself.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've got about a dozen frames of honey sitting in the garage. Three or four that I saved in from this fall in case I needed to use them for emergency feed and the rest from two hives that didn't make it through the arctic blast (leaving me with one top bar only). I was going to extract some of them since I won't need that many to support new packages in the spring, but noticed that many of the uncapped cells with some honey in them are full of white specks. I assume this is mold of some sort but was wondering if anyone has seen it before. The spots are in the frames I stored in the garage and those I recovered from the dead hives. I was wondering if I can still extract these frames to eat, feed them to package bees, or do they need to be discarded? The bulk of the honey is in capped cells and I assume is just fine; however, I don't think there is any feasible way to get at it without mixing it with the uncapped.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
We had some similar frames. The best we could tell is that the "white specks" were nectar/honey that had changed to crystal form. We pulled some out to check close. Without pictures it is hard to say. If the frames were not capped, or at least mostly capped, I would save them for the bees.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts