Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a tragedy for those involved:

A 55-year-old man died Wednesday after suffering hundreds of bee stings while working outdoors in the northern San Diego County city of Encinitas, the Sheriff's Department said...

...Each spring, when the number of bees multiplies, county agricultural officials warn the public and provide suggestions on how to avoid being attacked. Among them: Avoid wearing cologne or after-shave, wear white socks (bees are attracted by dark socks) and don't flail or swat at the bees.

Nationwide about 40 people a year die from bee stings.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-outdoors-in-the-northern-san-diego-coun.html

But wear white socks??? Sheesh.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The sock issue could be the problem I have been having with the bees stinging my fingers. I will start wearing white socks now instead of my black ones when I go to the bee yards.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Hanes .. Fruit of the Loom ... Nike .. ??
Which brand?

These guys never publish enough information in their reports. I'm so confused now ... I don't know what to do. :s

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
The sock issue could be the problem I have been having with the bees stinging my fingers. I will start wearing white socks now instead of my black ones when I go to the bee yards.:rolleyes:
:) Yer not supposed to wear them on your hands!! Sheesh. :)

Do any of those suggestions really do anything to lower the targic number of deaths due to INSECT BITES and STINGS? I bet bee stings, all kinds of bees, account for very few. Mostly, I bet, it's those dang wasps. Can we say wasp on beesource? Or is that to un-pc?

·
Banned
840 Posts
That and other articles quoting the stats are misleading.

They lead one to assume that merely being stung by a bee can lead to death. Most of the people who have died related to insect stings, not just bee stings, those are all lumped together in the study, also have an anaphylaxis response.

For the VAST majority of people, the result of being stung ends up in an itchy bump.

This article and others like it are just spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) to sell their newspaper or whatever medium for so-called 'news'.

Not an example of un-biased, objective reporting at all.

On the white socks note, no way, my bees love the white and blue, Cubbies fans to the end!

Big Bear

·
Registered
508 Posts
You must wear them on your hands though.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Mark, I immediatley thought of yellow jackets but another article said
"Paramedics attempted to remove stingers from the man's skin while performing CPR" and the picture I saw of comb being removed does look like honeycomb.

Sometimes good bees do go bad, I guess, especially when stepped on.

Wayne

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
One of my worst days in the beeyard .... I took stings on my ankles. First a couple through the socks and then by day's end countless. Once the pheromones started flying about there was no stopping it. That night my ankles were badly bruised and swollen. Color of my socks......white.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah so make sure to wear white socks, but cover any other parts of your body with any color you like. Because bees go for the ankles.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't think the sock color is listed in the death report of people who die from insect sting. So where to these stants really come from?

Mosquitos cause no deaths unless it is from shock reaction.
People and some animals are the carriers.
Mosquitos are just the tranfer vector from person to person:scratch:.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Mark, I immediatley thought of yellow jackets but another article said
"Paramedics attempted to remove stingers from the man's skin while performing CPR" and the picture I saw of comb being removed does look like honeycomb.

Sometimes good bees do go bad, I guess, especially when stepped on.

Wayne
Defensive bees are doing what they are supposed to. Try telling that to the guy whpo the paramedics were working on.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Mosquitos are just the tranfer vector from person to person:scratch:.
Right. And ALL death certificates should read "Heart Failure" under Cause of Death. Because that is what actually happens to all of us, our heart stops.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts