Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 3 hives, lost two over the winter.
Had one strong hive left (since has swarmed).
The strong hive started to go in and take the honey from the other two hives.
After the honey was taken there remain white scales in the lip of each comb cell (proper name for this space?). usually 2-3 scales.
Just wondering what they could be? If it was honey that crystalized would it look like scales? Wouldn't the bee's have just taken it?
My other thought is if they weren't honey combs but instead were brood frames (since they were in the brood boxes I started to dismantle the boxes to clean them out and didn't notice the position of each frame...noticed the scales after I had the boxes empty) is there a disease or another problem that these scales could represent? I read about american foulbrood however from what I have read the scales are black and at the bottom of the cell.
Anything here that I should worry about?
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered about AFB also...from what I read the scales are black...not white like the ones I have. But it does make me nervous that it could be AFB.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Chalkbrood? What about possibly christalization of open honey left in the combs. I didn't know what to think of that the first time I saw it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was what I thought it could be...but it has a scale like appearance...so thought I would ask if anyone could identify it....or if I should be concerned

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Scales? I bet it's wax debris and scales from being robbed out. Wax comes out of the bees abdomen as scales when it is created. When they tearing off the cappings to rob out the honey, it makes a mess of wax scales left behind.

·
Registered
723 Posts
It's wax scales from the sealed honey. When they open sealed cells, the wax cover falls to the bottom of the hive. Normally that would be cleaned out by workers. But since this is an empty hive being robbed, it'll just fall to the bottom and lay there.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It's wax scales from the sealed honey. When they open sealed cells, the wax cover falls to the bottom of the hive. Normally that would be cleaned out by workers. But since this is an empty hive being robbed, it'll just fall to the bottom and lay there.
I second this opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Joseph, I think they are correct about it being wax..so I didnt take any photos. Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts