Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a split that I made three weeks ago. Starting out fine. Queen is laying eggs, first round of brood hatching out. Things look slow but ok.
But on about 10% of the bees is what looks like some white dusting or spots on their backs. Some of them it looks a bit like a patch. I've been keeping 10 +/- colonies for many years and I have never seen this. No dead bees, no other indicators of any problems.
Any one seen this before!?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
when they work alfalfa part of the flower hits them just behind the head leaving a white mark. after a while they learn to come in from the side. usually they are kind of mean working it. with all the rain this year there is a better chance of it reaching bloom stage. that's all I can think of. If you pick a alfalfa blossom and stick a grass stem in it you can see how it works. kind of neat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when they work alfalfa part of the flower hits them just behind the head leaving a white mark. after a while they learn to come in from the side. usually they are kind of mean working it. with all the rain this year there is a better chance of it reaching bloom stage. that's all I can think of. If you pick a alfalfa blossom and stick a grass stem in it you can see how it works. kind of neat.
Now THIS is really interesting. I do not know of alfalfa near here but it is quite possible. I'll have a look. The white substance is VERY stark white.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Have two hives in 22 acres of alfalfa and yes they get some white dust on the bees. They just mowed on the 3rd so maybe it will bloom some more and get a second crop. Make that 3 hives. We split one on the 3rd while the farmer was mowing. Alfalfa field is a good spot to be. Two packages started with 3 and 4 drawn combs in two separate deeps blew up to twenty frames each and needing more in a bit less than 8 weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts