Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a hive with a newly mated queen. Seeing eggs but also this white milky substance in cells. Any ideas? There definitely not larva. Tried to get a picture but no luck. Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
food for the larva. The bees will feed it to the larva for 3 days then change the type of food until the cap the cells. Look in the cells for little larva's and you will see different shapes and sizes. That indicates the ages of the larva. I would suggest reading more about the life cycles of the bees.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I know all about there life cycle. I’ve seen tons of larva eggs etc. Just saying looked very odd to me. We will see

·
Registered
11,388 Posts
Is this white milky substance in cells around a larva?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,322 Posts
Sickdog, I have seen pools of royal jelly so deep the larva was not visible. Good pollen supply? I have also seen the larvae very dry to where I wondered if they would even develop. So mark the frames with the white substance and come back in a week to see if there is not a big fat larva in those cells.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have seen pools of royal jelly so deep the larva was not visible. Good pollen supply? I have also seen the larvae very dry to where I wondered if they would even develop.
Yes - strange isn't it ? Sometimes there's just a smear around the newly hatched larva, and sometimes they really dump the stuff in. Curious.
LJ

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
I am not seeing much of anything in those cells. Maybe it is my phone and the little screen. Try using a toothpick and see if you can pull any of the stuff out.

·
Registered
11,388 Posts
Does the white milky substance look a little bit like this?

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
Ya know, if you blow that picture up, you can make out the lavae swimming in that huge pool of royal jelly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts