Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you guys. I will need the answers from beekeepers in va. Right now in bloom are a short tree/shrub that is wild but is blooming small white flowers. I see them mostly on the roadside. Does anyone know what these are called? And do bees like them?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Elderberry likes moist areas, plumes of tiny white flowers in bunches bigger than your fist that turn into tiny individual berries. Remember those locations; my wife recently opened the elderberry wine she made back in 2001. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok , i stopped off the side of the road this morning and it is not elderberry , privet or rose. There are no thorns and the smell is almost the same as a honey suckle. But in a non-vine. It is a small bush/shrub. Small leaves and very small white flowers tightly clustered on the ends. It is in heavy bloom right now in virginia.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Privet is blooming all over the roadsides here. I'd go with privet hedge. And bees to LOVE it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What about Ocean spray? Small oval leaf with jagged edges. Small white flowers similar to elder berry but cluster hangs down like grapes. Unlike E. berry,O spray is a good source of nector and polin. Not in bloom for another month or so were i am. :D

Todd64

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not ocean spray. Flower clusters are similar but the leave on what i am talking about are smooth edged. The closest thing i have found on the internet is a wild lilac. But that still doesnt match it perfectly. I have just give up on searching for it on the web. In virginia it is in bloom right now. I have seen them as short as 3 ft up to 20 ft blooming.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope sorry. Not a fringe tree either. Now you are all just guessing...lol i will post a pic soon. Thank you all for your time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts