Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first year hive made it through several stretches of below zero, but died this past week after last cold snap below zero. I went in today to add sugar blocks and they were dead. Several frames honey untouched to the side of them, sugar block eaten through above them so only sugar block left to the side... they had no more sugar left directly above them, and they were kind of in a wet clump at the top. Only about a frame left. Carniolan. They were alive a couple days ago when I went out to see if I could hear them hum by leaning in close to top entrance.

Question: Some of the frames had white blobby specs massed in them. Initially I thought grains of sugar, which it looks like in some cells, but in some areas they are swollen blobby grains where I would have thought sugar would dissolve rather than swell? Will try to post a pic, and then get a better pic. Anyone seen this or know what it is? Will try to also get a clearer pic. Is is sugar or something else? I am not talking about the wax specks, but the whitish sugary white bits.

image.jpg .

Top right of this pic
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Crystalized honey. Had the same thing in one of my dead outs a couple years ago. No worries except getting that hive filled with bees again!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crystalized honey. Had the same thing in one of my dead outs a couple years ago. No worries except getting that hive filled with bees again!!
They are clumped in liquid filled cells, so crystallized honey makes sense. Not sure why they would leave open honey. I almost thought they were trying to store sugar in the cells, which it looks like in some drier areas.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
May have been a late nectar flow that didn't get cured before the bees went into cluster mode for the winter. My hive died out from Varroa before it could cure the nectar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts