Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to locate the specific "tooth pick" that folks use to put in the empty spaces for foundation-less comb.

Had some mishaps with new comb, and no stabilizing rods last year and want to try to improve this year.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Dollar stores; shiskabob skewers. About 1/8" dia bamboo. Larger ones about 1/4" are available for extra deep frames, up to 3' long

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,578 Posts
I support my foundationless frames.with 20# test fishing line at about 1/4 the cost. Super easy to rip out of the comb when you want to melt it down. I wanted to try the 3mm x 400 mm bamboo skewers but could not locate a good source.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
I just bought Paint Stir sticks from HD, 10/$1, cut them in half... do this with a utility knife on a woodshop type table. Glue in, even though they fit snug on the Mann Lake frames.

1st year BK so grain of salt, but they fit good and snug

·
Registered
963 Posts
I use paint stir sticks like linda. I put them in the top groove. I use latex caulk to secure them
3 drops work well. These run horizontally in top groove.
Also, after 1 round of brood, the wax is firm, and I have run them through extractor and no comb damage, after wax is yellowed up with a little age.
Linda's vertical stir stick works great also, as you can put a couple in a frame, and it's food to go instant. I havnt done Linda's way, but I will, as it's good to have solid comb from the get go.

·
Registered
710 Posts
This is what I use, bamboo skewers. They only cost $2-$3 at my local grocery for 100. $18/100 on Amazon seems like a rip off.

20200502_172753.jpg

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dollar tree.

Shish Kabob Skewers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts