Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at purchasing a new bee jacket/veil combo. I have two in mind, maybe there are others you could inject here. Do you have a preference between these and why do you like it?
The combos are:
1) V01200SIZE DADANT COTTON/POLY ZIPPER VEIL HOODED JACKET
OR
2) V01231 Cricket Style Jacket

Which one do you like, #1 or #2, or yours?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am new so take this with a grain of salt....but from what I have watched in videos the English style hoods to me look very cumbersome and I have read a number of reviews where people say that it is really common for the hood to flop around often down over your face obstructing your view. That is what I have read...no actual experience with them.

I do own a similar setup to the cricket and I really like it. The veil stays put and does not flop around or block your view. The only thing about that setup is that since the hat is connected to the veil which is "connected" to your head, turning your head side to side or trying to look up at a steep angle can be a pain but not that bad. I think either one will have positives and negatives.

My vote is for the cricket.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have the Sheriff top like #1. It's quick, easy and works like a charm. If it's hot, i do not wear a tshirt up under it. You CAN get stung through it if you are really sweaty and po some bees off, but most of the time, they are going for the zipper/velcro right at your mouth. i bought mine from Mann Lake and paid about $38.00, but it looks liek they went up on prices on them.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I have the Dadant full-suit version of the hooded jacket and the Dadant cricket style jacket. The problem with the cricket style jacket is vision. It is much harder to see anything small, such as eggs, through the cricket-style veil. The problem is that the screen is too far from your eyes, causing it to block your vision.

With the hooded veil, the screen is much closer to your eyes and I hardly know it is there. There is no doubt I can see eggs and small larve much better when I wear the hooded style.

The only disadvantage I have experienced with the hooded style is that occasionally the screen touches my face and I get a sting, usually on my chin.

I plan to buy a hooded-style jacket next week.

PS:
Another advantage of the hooded style veil is there is no problem washing it in your washing machine, on the gentle cycle. In contrast, the cricket style (because of the metal rings that form it's shape) will barely fit in a washing machine. But don't even try it! I did and almost destroyed my wife's new, expensive washing machine during the spin cycle! And the veil was damaged also.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Galaxy, thanks for the input, including the washing machine piece! That might be the deciding factor as it will need machine washing here. And... often as it can get pretty ripe due to sweat from this Texas heat.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have to wash mine about once a month for SURE!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL Dev Dog. :lpf: You're too funny. There's NOWAY I could come close to a month before it gets washed here!!! HAH HAH HAH still laughing.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
WEll, that depends on how often you check your hives...averaging 105 heat index here at 90% humidty...its HOT. I do not wear it all the time either. Only certain ones. have been known to take just the hood off and wear it instead..

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have the Dadant full suit. I like it, but I have found the veil to be thin. I have put several small holes in it that are ultimately going to get larger and make the veil useless.

I have had the suit for less than 2 years, so I have been disappointed in the overall longevity of the veil.

Along those lines, does anyone know of a replacement veil that is compatible with the zipper on the Dadant full suit ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm another hooded suit user and I love it. Also, to prevent the veil getting too close to my face, I just wear a baseball cap under it. The brim keeps the screen out past my nose, no problem.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have to wash mine about once a month for SURE!!
No wonder your bees are stinging you'll. It is averaging about 99 degrees here, heat index at 115. My pullover jacket is 18 months old and has never been washed. Part of the secret is to stink the bees away, good as or better than smoke. I just realized maybe thats why my wife is not helping much lately. I thought it was the heat.:eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Reading the comments on hooded veils is making me think that some designs are better than others.
I have problems with the loops obscuring my view but find if I pinch the back of the hood to move it all backwards it cures the problem. There is a gap of 3" in front of my face.
Perhaps it's because I have a small head.
Maybe it's because they use a 'one size fits all' hood, which would have to be the biggest size.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get one of the last "Ultra Breeze" jacket/hood combos before the untimely death of the man who made them. Last I heard the family was trying to put the business back together. If they come back in, and the quality is maintained, I will highly recommend them!

Fog

1 - 17 of 17 Posts