Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was about to order the regular style vape that hooks up to a car battery and has the little pan on the end but after a little research, I found this: VAROMORUS PROPANE FOGGER OXALIC ACID VAPORIZER TREATMENT VARROA MITES VAROMOR
This style of vape seems so much better and all the reviews are good. This seems like the way better option that the regular style but I don’t know why more people don’t use it. So, is there something bad about these? Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Burgess insect fogger made in a similar fashion to that. It has variable heat. I like the electric ones with a thermostat. Controlling the heat seems important and the thermostat would help with that. I just use an inverter from harbor freight to operate mine from a car battery. It has to be an inverter big enough to handle the wattage.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
I was about to order the regular style vape that hooks up to a car battery and has the little pan on the end but after a little research, I found this: VAROMORUS PROPANE FOGGER OXALIC ACID VAPORIZER TREATMENT VARROA MITES VAROMOR
This style of vape seems so much better and all the reviews are good. This seems like the way better option that the regular style but I don’t know why more people don’t use it. So, is there something bad about these? Thanks!
I have a varomorus fogger. It's a Russian setup and it does pretty good. But it's main flaw is an aerosol type of atomizer on the end of the wand. Just like on the other vaporizers, oxallic acid does not stay warm enough to keep it in its vaporous state as it travels down the wand and the atomizer plugs up every other hive or so.
You also have to mix the oxalic acid with alcohol or mineral oil. And our commrades have gone as far as making a list of carryover agents to choose from. But remember the cooler the boiling point of whichever carryover agent, the cooler the vapor is travelling down the wand. That temperature cannot change as long as the substance is in the middle of changing state from liquid to vapor.
There are ways to manipulate it but it can get sketchy. You dont want a hive full of alcohol or mineral oil vapor then get an ignition source (varomorus propane) near it and is the reason why they put the long vapor tube on it.
I use mine often but am looking for better. Varomorus works, it just quits fogging for you at the darndest times. I do not recommend it.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Careful about recommending foggers. Never heard of a reputable beekeeper using a fogger.

OP, do a google search for pro-vap 110. There's also a thread here called "band heater vaporizers" with users who will sell to you directly.

Lorobbees.com is another option (thx to the above poster).

Otherwise, your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
A highly detailed review of Varomorus is all I give. I do not recommend it.
Any of the positive comments I gave are because pressures, temperatures and changing of states are my job. I do commercial and industrial refrigeration and to me the little speed bumps are not a big deal. I can correct them because I know what the fogger is doing.
Basically I can manipulate substances changing states easier than bee keepers manipulate bees. Lol.
That's why I'm still a newb with the bees. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
A lot of people have gotten away from the foggers because the foggers don't emit the same amount of fog every time. Sometimes it's a large amount and sometimes only a little. You really need to know how much OA each hive is getting. Also, the recommended dosage rate is probably going up considering research being done at Georgia and Alabama Universities. Some of us are already using the "new" standard.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
But remember the cooler the boiling point of whichever carryover agent, the cooler the vapor is travelling down the wand. That temperature cannot change as long as the substance is in the middle of changing state from liquid to vapor.
ding
the boiling point of alcohol is 78C and it takes 191c to turn OA in to vapor....

You also have to mix the oxalic acid with alcohol or mineral oil.
you can't dissolve OA in mineral oil as its a non polar solvent

Short answer is this is an illeagle treatment, and has been talked about for 16 years on bee source
if it "worked" it would be a standard by now
for some reason beekeepers are highly attracted to foggers like moths to a flame

Reactions: Struttinbuck

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
ding
the boiling point of alcohol is 78C and it takes 191c to turn OA in to vapor....

you can't dissolve OA in mineral oil as its a non polar solvent

Short answer is this is an illeagle treatment, and has been talked about for 16 years on bee source
if it "worked" it would be a standard by now
for some reason beekeepers are highly attracted to foggers like moths to a flame
I like it! I'm glad to see another steam head! lol. Also the OA may not dissolve into mineral oil , but it can be mixed then added to a heating chamber bringing the change of state temperature past the OA point of sublimation. But like you said, if its not an approved treatment then its not approved.
But for me??? Its kinda like my 10 frame double nuc. I know its going to work.
Annahydrous acid has a boiling point close to water. But yet again. Has not been approved.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
I like it! I'm glad to see another steam head! lol. Also the OA may not dissolve into mineral oil , but it can be mixed then added to a heating chamber bringing the change of state temperature past the OA point of sublimation. But like you said, if its not an approved treatment then its not approved.
But for me??? Its kinda like my 10 frame double nuc. I know its going to work.
Annahydrous acid has a boiling point close to water. But yet again. Has not been approved.
Struttinbuck, just post some pictures of your mite drops after treatment, surely you should not have a problem with that I mean after all it cannot change the state of the mites can it , cause you are an expert on the change of state. Perhaps you can explain an aziotropic change of state.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Struttinbuck, just post some pictures of your mite drops after treatment, surely you should not have a problem with that I mean after all it cannot change the state of the mites can it , cause you are an expert on the change of state. Perhaps you can explain an aziotropic change of state.
Trust me, Thats my job. And if you want to talk about the short comings of some of these vaporizers we can. They are all inferior. There is not one vaporizer on the market today that does what they claim and lead people to believe. Do they kill mites? Yep! But thats all I'm going to say for now. And thats all people need.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
You ever run any spirits? I mean just because alcohol boils at 170* doesnt mean that your going to get some heads at that. If you do its very little. The hearts are going to normally run around 185* to 190*. And thats in the column, not the pot. And if that is not an azeotrope then what is? You might call it a blend because there are other types of alcohol and esthers, but the way it runs is like an azeotrope .

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Mineral oil and oxalic acid is a perfect example of an azeotrope. Not that I would ever fog a hive with mineral oil. Unless you want it to seperate into difrferent sections about 1 foot apart, then all of it come falling back together looking a little disarrayed. LOL.
It go BOOM!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to go with a regular wand one for simplicity.

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
549 Posts
Ok, thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to go with a regular wand one for simplicity.
They all have their issues. Even the simple pan has been known to catch hives on fire. Johnos vap was a super good one and theres another Lorrobes are prolly the most effective and best as of today.
Oh and of coarse Pro Vap 110. Just its a little pricy, but you get what you pay for. You can get a pro vap any day of the week. Everybody else is a month behind orders it seems. When people cant charge the proper amount, they cant hire help to make them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just received a Mitey Vape from Rick In Florida, nicely done. Its very comparable with a pro vap 110. $160.00

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bought a band heater vap from Goodbeeks. Tried it for the first time today & it kicks out the vapor. With the extra silicone caps, vaping my hives will go real fast this fall. I fully recommend Goodbeeks.com oxalic acid vaporizer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts