Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,
I'm looking to get a vaporizer. Which one do yall recommend? I understand this is a loaded question, and everyone is going to have different opinions. But I trust yall over Amazon reviews.

Thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you have have more than 2-3 hives, or expect to someday, buy one of the band heater units sold by several of the members here. I have the one made by @Biermann , and am very happy with it.

Otherwise, get a cheap one off of eBay.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I would suggest buying one that has off the shelf components similar to what Biermann or Johno's models use. I see some others are coming on line that are similar. I am sure that Biermann stocks replacement parts for anything you might need. He is right on the ball with his communications and shipping.

I would hate to have to go back to a tray type vaporizer now that I have been spoiled by the heat band style.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I currently use a Varrox but am curious about the band type vaporizers. How can you be assured the OA is circulating throughout the hive and not just staying along the cooler outside wall, given the short length of the pipe that channels the OAV into the hive? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I currently use a Varrox but am curious about the band type vaporizers. How can you be assured the OA is circulating throughout the hive and not just staying along the cooler outside wall, given the short length of the pipe that channels the OAV into the hive? Thanks.
If you saw a demonstration of the volume of "smoke" they produce in about 25 seconds you would be an instant believer. Every bee turns on its own blower too. Amazingly in a few minutes after you pull the rag out of the entrance they are back to foraging like nothing happened.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
If you saw a demonstration of the volume of "smoke" they produce in about 25 seconds you would be an instant believer. Every bee turns on its own blower too. Amazingly in a few minutes after you pull the rag out of the entrance they are back to foraging like nothing happened.
It is exactly as Frank says. Personally, I question how a Varrox style wand is capable of doing it's job at all and attribute many of the OAV treatment failures to wand style vaporizers' ineffective dispersion of the "smoke".

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
513 Posts
It is exactly as Frank says. Personally, I question how a Varrox style wand is capable of doing it's job at all and attribute many of the OAV treatment failures to wand style vaporizers' ineffective dispersion of the "smoke".
Interesting. I think Varrox was the first one around. I've tried two other pan types and theywere crap - Varrox stands the test of time as built durably. Not to say there haven't been improvements since then, but I trust it was designed well - after all, the great results in mite control with OAV that were documented early on came before the band vaporizer even existed. I see the OA "smoke" exiting from cracks at the top of the hives, so I know it's traveling. And the bees' fanning helps that, just like with the band design. It sounds like JW is saying the band type actively forces/blows the smoke. Is that correct? Still, ProVap's too pricey for me!

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Interesting. I think Varrox was the first one around. I've tried two other pan types and theywere crap - Varrox stands the test of time as built durably. Not to say there haven't been improvements since then, but I trust it was designed well - after all, the great results in mite control with OAV that were documented early on came before the band vaporizer even existed. I see the OA "smoke" exiting from cracks at the top of the hives, so I know it's traveling. And the bees' fanning helps that, just like with the band design. It sounds like JW is saying the band type actively forces/blows the smoke. Is that correct? Still, ProVap's too pricey for me!
Hi Karen, personally, spending the money is worth it. 🙂

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
$500-600 for the 9 hives that I currently have, with no plans to expand? Not! Glad it works for you.
I don’t think the ones that were mentioned above are that much money; check out Biermans. I bought Johnos, I am a backyard beekeeper too. I would not pay that much either.

Reactions: bushpilot

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
It depends on how many hives you have and how much you value your time.

If you have significant amount of hives, or just want to save a good portion of time, i would jump right to the ProVap EZ. We used the VMVaporizer(commercial vape), which was definetly the fastest, but un reliable in dosage per hive. Then we picked up a number of the ProVap/JohnO style, which are more exact in dosage per hive, but longer per dose, and a lot of bending over.
The EZ was a game changer for us. being able to stand upright, and get it down to 10 seconds for vaping, with next to no down time between hives, and there dosing capsule really stream lined the process.

Aaron

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you're planning on staying in as a hobby, and you have the cash available I'd recommend the ProVap. It is expensive, but it works well.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
If you consider the price of a band heater vaporizer, such as the ones being sold by several members of Beesource, against the cost of even one or two new packages, you will see that there is a significant value in them. I like my ProVap 110 but have used an Easyvap and find that they are very similar. Of course, I could have bought 3 Easyvaps for the price of the Provap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts