Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the threads on essential oils but I am not finding the info I am looking for. Is there any research supporting the use of one essential oil over another for the treatment or prevention of varroa mites? Specifically, peppermint vs spearmint.

·
Registered
703 Posts
try this link

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/ipm/insects/pollinat/varroa/varroa2.htm

In regards to EO's that I would use for the treatment tracheal mites would use peppermint in combination with rosemary, winter green, and eucalyptus. A recipe that I had found on this site that I use for a version of 'honey bee healthy' has spearmint, lemon grass, and thyme.

Two EO's that I feel are often over looked are tea tree and neem. Although tests have been done with them, the results have been inconclusive and more serious tests should be done on these. Neem is an effective miticide on 250 different types of mites. Teatree is antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal.

I use the EO's within my IPM but they have not replaced a particular treatment. I still use formic acid and oxalic acid for mites, fumigillin for nosema, and oxytet for prevention of AFB and EFB.

Something else about EO's is that they are not just a 'treatment' but like the HBH blend I use in my sugar syrup helps prevent fermentation if it is not used right a way and also makes it irresistable to the bees. Likewise, Anise oil in pollen supplement or substitute increases the attractiveness to the cakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts