Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built some traps this year and am looking to get them out there sooner rather than later. However, I want to bait them with something. I may have some tincture of propolis. And just a few frames of old wax. But I was considering one of the chemical lures. I know there is one with a brand name that gets bandied about, but most of what I see suggested is "Lemon Grass Oil".

However, which one? Cymobopogon flexuosus, or Cymbopogon citratus? Or does it matter are they both the same? I have also seen citronella sold as lemon grass.

I have also read recommendations of 2:1 citral to geraniol which I have both litsea cubeba EO and rose geranium EO, and I could certainly combine these easily enough. Just questioning if it is worth the trouble, or just pick up the cheapest thing labeled Lemon Grass Oil?

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Good to question it. One substance at least that has the name or nickname "lemon" connected with it is Not good. Isn't citronella an insect repellant? Cheapest does not seem the best recommendation.:)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Citronella repels mostly members of the fly family (diptera), but attracts bees and wasps!
I did the mix of lemon grass, lemon oil, and geranium oil and I caught 1 swarm with it last year. I am trying some chemical lures this year to see if its worth the hype (found on sale). That is a great point about the different kinds of lemon grass, I will have to check on mine!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I have used both, I am positive I have caught on the Cymbopogon citratus. But have empty bottles of both and so have caught on both. I just bought the cheapest ebay variety in a little bit bigger bottle. it is steam distilled flexuosus I cannot remember if I used this last year or not and so don't know about it. I never catch many but also pretty much only use lemon grass oil wasp nest and mice nest as bait. Some times I throw in and ant nest for good measure. I tried a tiny bit harder it the early days by throwing in a few inch squares of old brood comb but have not did that in a few years and usually catch about the same.
Good luck.
gww

·
Registered
173 Posts
Really? That’s the first I have heard of using mouse, wasp, ant nests. I would think those would be repellant to bees - that the bees wouldn’t want to compete with those animals.

I feel (from my own trapping success) strongest about old brood comb. I use LGO in all my traps, but have not caught a swarm in a box without black comb. My LGO says flexosus.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Really? That’s the first I have heard of using mouse, wasp, ant nests. I would think those would be repellant to bees - that the bees wouldn’t want to compete with those animals.
Where did you read that someone suggested using these items?

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Cobbler
I leave my traps out all year. I used to take them down and unscrew the top and clean them out each spring. The last few years I just throw a q-tip with lemon grass oil with out cleaning them out. Yes, I have had bees move in to traps that have mice nest in them and also once with about a million ants. If the bees decide they like it, they are numerous enough to take it or desperate enough. I guess I should have used a smiley but figured every one was getting the point I was making. I even just baited this one sitting like it is.

Stupid squirrel.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mine is Cymbopogon flexuosus from the GNC store. 5 out of 5 traps had bees the past 2 years. I use new frames in mine. I don't want to pass on any problems that may be present on old frames.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Sorry I didn’t include the quote referencing these items. It is in GWW’s comment immediately before mine above.
Wow, I am going blind! I looked for it but completely missed it in Glenn's post. Leaving traps out all year does have some interesting results.

I have had a swarm move into a multi-year trap that had an active ant colony in it. Bees on one side, ants on the other. Trap was about 20' up in a large tree. A real PITA to get back down full of bees. Tree ants bite too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.