Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Me, Myself, And I Inc.

:D :D :D

I actually enjoy making my own frames. Haven't bought any yet. I know it really doesn't help with your question, but thought I'd throw that option out there. Although I'm considering trying out Kelly's new foundationless frames.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would venture to guess you will get many different answers for this question. I personally like the full plastic frames. I've been getting mine from pierco and I recently received some plastic drone frames from betterbee. I'm not sure if they were pierco or another manufacturer. I like them because they are ready to go right out of the box, no assembly necessary. I don't have much time to build frames because I have another job that pays the bills. They also have a little less width to them when sitting in the box compared to a wooden frame, so you get some more space. This is especially helpful when using frame feeders in the spring and fall. They do however take the right conditions to get drawn out correctly. I also consider them much more durable and longer lasting then wooden frames. In five years you can easily melt off the old wax in a large pot of boiling water and get the frame back into production.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Dadant. Why you ask...They are the only ones I have ever used. :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have the kelly frames and then Dandant frames. I like the Dadant better. The top bars are thicker on the dadant frames compared to the kelly. Seem more rigid IMHO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my limited experience I've only used frames from two companies. Dadant and L.A. Honey Co. I like the Dadant frames better. The L.A. Honey Co. frames seem light and fragile. Almost balsa like. I feel like I have to handle them with kiddie gloves. The Dadant frames are made of sturdier heavier wood and the notch in the top bar for the two sides makes it a cinch to put the frame together if you don't have a jig to make ten at a time. Get either frame type. I use the wedge type for foundationless.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have recently just put together 300 frames over the winter, I used Kelly and didnt have one frame split out. I havent used another brand yet but didnt have any problems with Kelly.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have both Kelley and Dadant frames and I have to say that I like the Dadant frames better than the Kelley frames due to the larger top bar and how the end pieces are always square and not pointed at one end (which causes problems if you don't assemble the frame with the pointed end bars facing opposite directions and the same directions on each frame).

I live in the south where SHB are a factor to consider so I don't use those plastic frames which have far too many crevaces in them where the SHB could hide out.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I haven't had any I thought were not ok. I've had them from most everyone except a few of the smaller southern companies perhaps. I think the Watler T. Kelley ones were probably the highest quality, but they were also, IMO, overbuilt. The angled part on the end bars is nice, but unnecessary. I suppose they do their bottoms and end bars the way they do so they are universal and the split bottoms can be two pieces. They work fine, but again seem to be more work than I would do if I were making them. The one piece split bottom seems to work ok.

So, I guess the Walter T. Kelley ones seemed to be the best quality, also they have always had the biggest variety and the best documentation of what size is for what and what size foundation goes in what. They are the only place I can get foundationless (of the big suppliers) and the only place I can get solid bottom bars and the only place that was willing to make solid top bars for me on custom order (I asked all of them).

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I liked the Dadant best UNTILL this year. The wood was heavy grained, sending the staple sideways, and the thicker bottom bar lost a whole row of cells. I may have to make my own to get what I want. Grrrrr...... Why change after all these years?????

Roland Diehnelt
Linden Apiary. Est. 1852

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The last 500 frames I've assembled from Kelley no longer had the "wedge" on one side of the side bar for the frame. Both sides were square cut. Have they eliminated that wedge and gone to square cut sides for the tops of their end bars now? Looks like it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the reason for the question. I have Dadant frames and assembled a bunch of them. The only thing that I don't like is that the bottom bar is not solid on the ends...it is split. I don't know if there is enough wood there to hold a nail.

Also, I used Liquid Nails in addition to the bottom nail on the end of the bottom bar. I had 5 frames pop the bottom bar out on me this weekend. The nail came loose and the Liquid Nails failed as well. I used screws to secure the bottom bar onto the frame.

I was looking for a frame that had solid end pieces so it would hold a nail better.

I hope all of that made sense.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The last 500 frames I've assembled from Kelley no longer had the "wedge" on one side of the side bar for the frame. Both sides were square cut. Have they eliminated that wedge and gone to square cut sides for the tops of their end bars now? Looks like it.
The foundationless frames I got from Kelley this year had a "wedge" on the side bars. What's it for?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think I mislabeled them, they're the end bars... As I understand it, that's the way they used to be made. You'd assemble the frames in such a way that you always had the flat side of one end bar against the "wedge" of the next. Supposedly made them easier to separate as the bees applied their propolis to them.

I've heard that it made manufacturing a bit easier....as they came out of a machine, they fell or something... someone reported something like this in the last year or so.

Recently everyone seems to have gone to flat sides for their end bars, less places for the small hive beetle to hide.

The funny thing is, I've gotten both styles of frame ends from Kelley's in the past year. I don't know if they're phasing out the "wedge" style or not.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I have to throw Humble Abodes into the mix, great price and great frame.
In reply to one of my postings about budget boxes Humble Abodes was mentioned...

Are their end bars square-cut?

I believe the "wedges" may help to avoid smashing bees.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have used Kelly, Mann Lake and Dadant, and for one reason or another, settled on Dadant. One thing I have found is that Kelly foundation does not fit well in Dadant frames. They make their foundation about 1/8" longer than Dadant, and to fit in the Dadant frame, flat, it must be cut, or cut the bottom bar deeper. I also like the wired wax foundation, and I like a split bottom board, to secure the foundation, but Dadant does not supply those, so, I make do. Also, if you want your frames to hold together, glue them with Titebond II and put a staple cross way through the side bar.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
we only use Dadant, grooved top/grooved bottom with crimp wired foundation

1 - 20 of 23 Posts