Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that this might be a stupid question. I am okay with that.

What are your opinions? Would it be better to raise queens and then use them in splits or make splits and use queen cells in the splits. I know there are pros and cons to each approach. I am just looking for past experiences and thoughts.

I want to expand my apiary and sell a few 3-5 nucs to locals who want them. I find that the selling of a couple of nus makes my hobby come closer to paying for itself.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The best way is to buy a mated queen. Faster for the split this way.
But if you don't have one then I usually do this: make splits and use queen cells in the splits.
Actually I make a split and then dump lots of nurse bees into the split nuc so they will make
some queens. With lots of nurse bees in a split nuc they will raise a good queen. I will pick
the qc with the most RJ to keep. This will reduce the population of the main hive somewhat but can be done if you
have many hives to take a frame of bees from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a really strong hive. Last year it swarmed and I caught the swarm, but it did not make it through this winter. It has a few frames of pulled out comb. HFow would I go about splitting my stron hive? Can I put the new hive right next to the old hive? If I put some frames from the old hive in the new hive with larve will the bees make a queen?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I rear the queens than make the splits. I am planning on dealing with swarm cells this way this year. Of those queens that successfully mate they will be sold and then the frames removed from the colony they cam from will get them back. Strangely enough at the same time I am working on a cell builder fro grafting queens. these queens will also be sold plus used to make increase in my apiary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts