Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both some 90% rubbing alcohol, and also some grain alcohol- (the kind used for dissolving propolis to paint onto unfinished hives, I was told it's 'Everclear').

Which one is better for making a small amount of queen juice ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have both some 90% rubbing alcohol, and also some grain alcohol- (the kind used for dissolving propolis to paint onto unfinished hives, I was told it's 'Everclear').

Which one is better for making a small amount of queen juice ?

Thanks!
Where does one get this "Everclear" stuff? A search of Lowes and Home Depot websites for "everclear" only turned up toilet seats. Is there a 'recipe' for dissolving the propolis in this stuff to use as a hive finish? Thx. -James

·
Registered
208 Posts
Everclear is drinking alcohol. You get it at the liquor store. Queen juice is a dead Queen put in a jar of alcohol which mixes with her pharomones used as a lure in bait hives. I've never used it, but, I would guess the alcohol evaporates and just leaves the sent of a queen being there and makes the trap more inviting. Like an old hive would.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yep!! Good old Everclear! It will knock your socks off.It sure was good back in my younger days!!!! Everclear 190 proof is almost pure alcohol and will dry up with no residue.Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohlol has methyl ethyl ketone in it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Guess I may have to go see Uncle Bill (the one with the still on the hill). -james
Yep, just tell him not to strain it through the old underwear to make it taste better:no:. You need the pure stuff!:eek: Otherwise it's the same thing...Well it's grain alcohol anyway.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone!

(and I'm just gonna resist all the great jokes virtually handed to me on a silver platter just now)
:cool: :shhhh:

Omie
the picture of innocence and decorum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts