Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm manning the swarm line for our local club today through Tuesday. After 2 days of rain Weds and Thurs and cool weather yesterday, I figured today would be busy. And it was. And to top it all off, it looks like two of my hives swarmed sometime yesterday. I came out early this morning to find these.

This one was on the side of one of my hives. I put it in a nuc, left the top off for everyone to fly in, and came back an hour later to nothing. :scratch:

photo(1) (Large).jpg

This one was on a cherry tree about 20' in front of my hives. Also put it in a nuc, again left the top off, and again came back an hour later to nothing. :scratch:

photo(2) (Large).jpg

One of my hives had a bottom board "failure," and that could have been the reason for these guys to be out. But I also did a removal last weekend, and the brood comb was full of swarm cells that I didn't remove, so I'm guessing they came from there.

To make things better, I picked up 2 swarms from feral stock in my area. :thumbsup: I'm putting together a map of bee trees in my area for swarm traps next year. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I havent caught but one swarm. I used a regular deep and put the inner cover on and they all came in. Seems like the with the top wide open it wouldnt present a protected environment. Thats interesting, I built a nuc just to keep around for a swarm. So I should leave the top off if I catch one?:scratch:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
That is better than me yesterday, I had a mule almost step out in front of my truck.
David

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I agree with the leaving the top off diagnosis. You made the cavity unattractive to the bees. Lots of bees can get through a reduced front entrance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts