Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot see a single flower in my area ( Cortlandt Manor N.Y. ) but the bees are coming back covered in pollen. Any clues?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ha! I noticed the same thing in Mahopac (though I wouldn't go as far as saying they were all covered).Perhaps some early maples? Maybe desperate enough for crocus?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Pussy willows are about the first pollen here. Maples also but often too cold to get nectar from them. They work Tag alder and birch too. Still have over 2 feet of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Bright yellow might be from species crocus if you live in area where there are lots of flower gardens. I'm flat out jealous because up here north of Albany, there's nothing to be found, yet. (And I didn't know about crocus last fall in time to plant any.) Tussilago (coltsfoot) also has bright yellow pollen, perhaps you are warm enough for that already.

I have lots of pussy willow but it will be at least another 5-7 days before that's out in any strength. I have one brave bush of it in a protected space that may start to bloom in 3 or 4 more days. I saw foragers go out towads it today - and we are supposed to be getting a solid week of daytime highs in the low 50's - Woo-hooo! I am giddy with anticipation.

Send some of that pollen my way, please!

Enj.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No maples in bloom yet.
I've seen willow bloom, but haven't been to a beeyard yet when it was warm enough to forage...have only had a few days forage weather here.

Should be in th elow 60's and dry tomorrow afternoon, so I'll go see what's coming into the hives.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
saw the first coming in two days ago, only in hives near river bottoms and swamps, probably skunk cabbage as they were covered head to foot or is that feets?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts