Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been it the mid 40's here (at bit windy at times) and I haven't more than one or two bees out of the hive. Should I be worried? I've put my ear the to the hive and get a nice BUZZZZ if I give the box a knock-knock. I'm thinking of cracking them open to see what's going on but don't think I even know what to look for other than bees and honey on the frames.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
From what I've seen in my hives, 40F degrees is still too cold. Getting closer to 50-55F and then you'll see more action.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
My bees took their first cleansing flights since November about a week ago. The air temp was only about 40F, but the sky was cloudless and no wind, the sun was beating on the front of the hives. It actually felt nearer to 50F in the sun, the hives had a little swarm of bees in front of them, as soon as they did their business, back in the hive they went. We have had a few similar days since that day, but there was hardly any flight at all. The bees just needed to have a cleansing flight one time, other than that there was nothing for them to do, so why come out and burn energy needlessly.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Just make sure your wifes car is not parked near by or laundry hung out on line...there will be alot of crap coming down ot of sky!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I'm thinking of cracking them open to see what's going on but don't think I even know what to look for other than bees and honey on the frames.
That's what you look for. Cluster size and are they in contact with honey. My bees in NW Vermont have had several cleansing flights this winter. They're out pooping even when the temperatures are in the 30s. Probably wrapping in black felt paper helps elevate the temperatures in and around the hive. Lots of yellow snow, and very few bees dead outside.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, personally, I'd be concerned to, if the weather has been conducive to cleansing flights and you're not seeing them.

Despite the fact it has only been around 37-39 degrees here, but sunny and fairly calm, my 2 hives have come out on 4 separate days that I know of, dropping a few dead bees outside the hive and peppering the snow and nearby objects with a lot of yellow droppings. Which I take as a good sign, and definitely don't have to clean up after the bees like I do after the dog.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts