Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to checking a few hives in the backyard, firefighting boots were the only way to get through the 18" that still hasn't melted. These two were light in early winter and I thought they'd never make it so they got sugar bricks. Well after the coldest winter I can remember in a long time they're still kicking. Here's to hoping they make it a little longer. Typical daily highs around here are in the low 40s at this point. Next week we'll be 20 degrees below that.

Not the best pics, taken w/the cell.

hive1_zpsb06ea739.jpg

hive2_zps97de4bdc.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
20140222_150636.jpg

great news to hear i was out today in my hives and the girls were partying and flying everywhere
its been a very cold Nazareth, Pa winter for sure

·
Registered
367 Posts
these couple days of flying weather will likely save thousands of colonies across the northern US that otherwise may have succumbed to dysentery.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yours look better than mine ARGluck,
Here is one hive today
IMG_6373.jpg
Here is the other
IMG_6380.jpg
the top hive had huge die offs this winter
IMG_6246.jpg
They have three seams of bees. Maybe they just aren't hanging at the top? Sure hope they make it, spring can't come soon enough!

·
Registered
454 Posts
An arctic high is moving in for the next two weeks with lows in the mid -20's Celsius. Hate these late winter cold snaps. First hive checks usually around March 20th so fingers crossed that warm weather arrives and hives are buzzing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
One of my hives the cluster seems to have really moved up top. The other hive actually has a lot more bees but they're staying down near the honey more.

I can honestly say I've never been looking forward to spring more in my life. I'm sure it's 90% because of the bees.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
So nice to see. We warmed up for a week or so. I was away for a bit and have come back to more snow! The bees will be so confused.

Watching the gold medal hockey game...being a Cauk fingers crossed we hold off the Swedes for a few more minutes!

·
Registered
11 Posts
After months of freezing weather we had a few days in the 40's
Both my hives made it this far added some fondant and pollen patties.Hope they get through the next few weeks below freezing

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I guess Spring is making holidays - in good old Europe.

In bright sunshine bees forage in the flowers that are already abundant here. ( Pictured: crocuses. )

Please turn over...

The rosemary blooms already.

A honeysuckle pushes already leaves.

Snowdrops...

Violets... and in the morning sun.

Early plum blossom...

Daylilies.

Daffodil the variety Tete -a-tete bloom every year very early. They are very popular flown by the bees.

The moss stretches out to the sun.

Small sour cherry tree.

Here unfolds a quince.

The large narcissus (daffodil) flower soon.

Here unfolds a pear.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
And the robin sings cheerfully!

A victim of the cool morning: a forager bee with a pollen package chilled and died in front of the entrance hole.

Before departure, the bees always wipe their eyes. They come out of the entrance, rub their eyes and start off.

Pussy willow.

Borage - he has already tiny flower buds!

Hydrangea.

The cherry plum blossoms.

Yes - Spring seems to come soon!

Some of the bees go very rough with the flowers, here a bee squeezes itself to the very top in a snowdrop.

Fragrant Winter Honeysuckle - a really great bee plant.

A hoverfly pretends to be a bee. Apparently, the hoverflies have been adapted in the mimicry - they imitate Buckfast bees. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
wow great pictures Bernhard, it will be a little while longer for us here in the North Eastern part of the United States
but the photos only make me anticipate a great bee season

·
Registered
30 Posts
Checked my bees last night... all goners. I'm devastated. It was my first year and I was really hoping they would pull through this freezing weather! :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
Checked my bees last night... all goners. I'm devastated. It was my first year and I was really hoping they would pull through this freezing weather! :(
Sorry to hear about your losses! Hope you can jump back in this spring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
sorry also Brit, to here of your loss please don't give up I've lost 2 out of 4 hives this year, and my first year was not good
many factors are out of our control, I spoke with many Beekeepers in our Bee club and everyone was hit hard this year, order your new package don't give up :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I checked mine today about 75 degrees Out of 30 hives lost one . All had lots of honey and pollen. Some had 5 or 6 frames of brood.:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts