Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went into the hive today after 8 days since last one. I did not see the queen. This may not be too unusual. I have NO capped brood. Lots of chambers with a liquid of some sort in them. I just think there should be a lot of capped brood.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/dcook11/?action=view&current=100_0931.jpg

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/dcook11/?action=view&current=100_0930.jpg

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/dcook11/?action=view&current=100_0926.jpg

can't figure out how to show photos in post.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That picture of the medium frame looks like sealed brood on it.
If you squished your queen 8 days ago, there would be capped brood.
If your queen quit working 15 days ago, there would be capped brood.
If your queen quit working over 21days or 3 weeks ago, that brood area may have emerged and has been filled with nectar.
Search for eggs or larvae; it is odd that they did not make queen cells but if the queen quit laying and the last eggs hatched and larvae grew too old to make new queen, then the hive is just screwed.
Requeen it or give them a frame of egg/larvea from someplace else so they can start over.

Seems to be a lot of disfunctional queens out there these last two years. I let my bees raise their own and have no problems of disappearing queens.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
853 Posts
could not see the 2nd pic

third pic shows capped brood. Are you sure there are not eggs in some of the cells? The larva will be laying in a tiny puddle of royal jelly. You have to get the sun at your back and let it shine into the cells while you are looking.

G3

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a small section of capped brood. They are domed and I thought they might be drones??? Does anyone else reccoment requeening? This is my first hive. Came from a nuc installed late Aprim.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Is this your only hive?? If not add a frame w/eggs from another hive. If it is get back in there and CONFIRM there are no eggs or young larvae. I cant open the pics on this computer but they could be backfilling the brood frames with honey if there is not a queen in there. If I checked it thoroughly and did not have any eggs or young larvae, then I would consider re-queening, or if you have a close queen breeder you could get a cell from that would be a cheaper opton but takes longer than intro'ing a mated queen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
From late April to mid June, all the brood has emerged and the cells filled with nectar. My guess is that you never have seen the queen and/or she did not survive past a week or two into May. The drones will emerge last but then again they may have been layed but a worker bee - seems like there would be more of them though if that were the case.
You running a single deep with a medium up top? And both are filled with nectar leaving no room for laying?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one hive. I saw the queen two weeks ago. She is marked and I have always found her easily. One week ago I did not see her, but didn't think a lot about it. I will look again tomorrow and check for eggs/ larva. Bottom deep is 80-85 % drawn. upper medium is about 60-70 % drawn. I was thinking about adding another medium.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I am not to far from you D, if you need a frame of Brood, gimme a holler and come and get them...just bring a frame to swap if you can.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am not to far from you D, if you need a frame of Brood, gimme a holler and come and get them...just bring a frame to swap if you can.
There ya go D, slip 5 frames back into that nuc box, one to trade and 4 to keep the devdog brood warm during the ride and you'll be squared away with a nice queen in 16 days.:applause:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Well thanks fellas, just see a need, trying to help. Hey D, I just made a split that should have queen cups and cells ver soon as well. We can give you a frame of eggs/brood and or maybe a queen cell. Correct me if I am wrong, but the other hive, non queenright should accept the cups with RJ and larvae right?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Y aknow, now that i think about it, D, if you want too, you could put that Nuc back together and bring it over. We could let the queen hatch and mate here. I have a good stock and actually am about 13 for 13 on new queens this year making it back and being great layers.....if not, i Know we can get you some brood and probably a cell....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be great. But, I don't have a nuc box. I guess I could make something. So I assume, if there is no queen in my hive, they will make one from the frame of brood???

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
about 12 miles on the north side of Jackson. We are considered Covington, but you would come down through griffin on 16 and across to jackson the cut up on Hwy 36 towards Covington.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be great! Dev, where are you located? I don't have a nuc, had to return it. I guess I could make something to transport in.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Just the way i was raised Bruce, thank you very much for your kind words, proves my dad did do some good....lol. I have a passion for this hobby, and if I can do anything to help anyone I will. D, I will be home all day tomorrow. You are welcome anytime!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts