Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a first today....
Opened a hive to look for swarm cells. First outside frame I pulled was COVERED in drones. I mean COVERED. Hardly a worker on it. Got seriously nervous when I saw it. As I picked through the hive, the next frame had a good many but plenty of workers. By frame 9,though, there were hardly any. There also were plenty of fresh eggs, larvae and sealed brood throughout.
So was this like a Jr. high dance party where the boys stand on one side of the room and the girls on the other? Anyone ever seen this or similar?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I use 4-way pallets. My entrances are on the outside corners. This time of year I usually see most my drones on the frames at the entrance. They don't care for brood so they are in the way when they congregate on the center frames. I think what you saw is normal.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Are you using foundationless combs?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not using foundationless.....

Guess I need to clarify. I was looking at LIVE drones all over the frame, NOT drone comb. Literally almost an entire frame of live drones...weird.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Were they gray fuzzy drones (just hatched) or were they mature drones?

I've seen frames covered in gray fuzzy drones when a frame with some drone brood just hatched. Just a small patch of drone cells can produce gray fuzzy drones that cover a lot of the frame.

·
Registered
142 Posts
at your time of the year It's pretty normal to see them on the outside frames easy access to food and sitting round talking about all the s_x they going to be getting in the next few weeks like typical teenage boys!
Alot of times when we see this in our hives they are not far off swarming.
kiwi

·
Registered
136 Posts
Theriverhawk
I have had more drones this year per hive than I've ever seen since I've been keeping bees. Just like you frames full of drones but yet plenty if workers, eggs and capped brood. The good side is that only lasted one brood cycle the next time I checked they were filling the drone cells full of honey and the drone population was back to where you would expect it. Don't understand it but then there are lolts of thing I don't understand that the bees do.
Barney

1 - 9 of 9 Posts