Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents are thinking about keeping Bees, what should they know? Expensive? Time consuming? Any good webpages? Don't even know where to look to buy the hives.

ANYTHING at all will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
892 Posts
The website here is a great place for information. Although I will have to admit, it can be easy to get lost in some of the debates over "hot topic" issues. (foundation v foundationless, treatment v no treatment, "proper" checker boarding etc)

A 3lb package was $100 without shipping for me this year. If you look at someone like Dadant, they sell a beginner package that includes everything someone needs for setting up a hive from scratch (minus bees) for ~$170. You'll need more wooden ware (boxes and frames) before the end of the first year so expect your "order" to be $250 or more for supplies to get started.

Another way to start with bees is to purchase a nuc later in spring, They generally are more expensive but your "buying time" and to some extent buying garentee. While i have asked many an established bee keepers if I could purchase additional wooden ware from them, none have been willing to sell. I also have been asked to sell some of my "extra" and well... its not extra so no i havent been willing to sell any either. So the idea that you could "buy supplies" from a local bee keeper is not something i would put stock in.
If your handy with wood working you can save a little money and build the supers (boxes) yourself, but honestly trying to build frames from scratch is really just a waste of time. You can buy them unassembled for less then you can make them. (I don't care what people say)

I would strongly advise you to seek out other beekeepers in your area, or a local club. Having a mentor that you can learn at his/her property before you jump in is great as well as having experienced hands on help when its time to do things with your bees.

Good luck and welcome to the forums

<edit> Oh you might spend some time over in the 101 forum. Lots of beginning questions are covered in detail there.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is a good place to start! And look online at bee keeping catalogs, blogs, and you tube. I learned a TON on youtube. In the beginning it takes some time, but not hours a day time. One thing you will learn is that bee keeping is local, what works for me in California may not work in Ontario Canada. Find out if there is a Bee Keeping Club near you and go to some meetings. You will learn about bees, and what works in your area. If you get your equipment a few months before you get your bees, and set it up, I found that to be a big help. I'd go visit my "beeless" bee yard and change things around after reading something in a book, or in a forum. I bought a complete 'kit' Hive, supers, suit, smoker, hive tool........ and an extra hive and supers. It's a lot of fun, spend the rest of the summer and winter researching, studying, and talking to other Keeps, then when next spring rolls around you will be ready.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If I had to start over I would still by an 8frame "Kit" from MannLake. (despite what others may say) The gloves suck and the Veil is of poor quality but after a season you will give them to your buddy anyways...Read the book a few times, put it next to your toilet and read it every time you take a dump for that matter. Wait until next spring to buy a package. Make friends with a beekeeper, offer to help in exchange for knowledge. Once you get your bees you will start asking questions on Beesource. Your first question will be "when should I release the Queen" or "Should I feed 1 to 1 or 2 to 1" ..... Right about the time you experience your first dearth you will likely post "Why are my bee's angry?". If they make it through the first winter without treatment you will be a bonified "treatment free" beekeeper, shortly there after they will likely die unexpectedly.... Your next year you will buy more bees because you got bit by the bug so to speak... And that is as far as I got.... Um I mean that is all you need to know to get started.... And yes it can get expensive especially if you are like me and have a problem with doing things in moderation.

My parents are thinking about keeping Bees, what should they know? Expensive? Time consuming? Any good webpages? Don't even know where to look to buy the hives.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Iam brand new to beekeeping this year and this is what I would do differently if I had to do it over again. I would first find and volunteer to WORK with an established apiary, not a hobby beekeeper but a apiary doing buisness as such. Why? Brass tactics and the success of the buisness depends on the success of the bees! 2. I would read every book old and new three times and then research their success - a google search or a search here will give you volumes of information, enough in fact to keep you busy for a decade or two. Then I would use my new found wisdom and my practical experience to carefully plan my well timed executed humble beginning ! I thought beekeeping would be fun on a Thursday and had two hives the next week, rushing around a bit frantic and clueless and it's a bit overwhelming ! Just my two cents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am a new beek and I got 2 hives then split then into 5. Unfortunately one looks like a loss... the queen is laying badly and I may have EFB so will have to get ride of the hive. My biggest issue is the lack of drawn out comb. If you can purchase Nucs or even full hives... that way you get some drawn comb.

One thing I did was I spend all of 2013 reading books on bees and reading nearly all the post that showed up on Beesource. Its been very helpful to have some of that basic knowledge when speaking to my mentor... o yeah find a mentor join a local bee club.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Read "First lessons in Beekeeping". Buy a copy of American Bee Journal and read it and look at the ads. Surf this forum. Join a bee club. Get your equipment ready this winter and order a package or nuc next spring. Better make it 2...or 3...or...?:D

·
Registered
34,542 Posts

Thanks a lot!
Check into the Ontario Beekeepers Association, probably oba.ca.net or .org.

Pat beet me 2 it.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Your parents ought to learn everything they can about honey bees, work with a beekeeper this year, and plan to start keeping bees next year. Most hives are started in the spring with either a package or a nuc (short for nucleus colony). In many areas these need to be ordered well in advance - Ordering in December for April or May delivery is common.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Thanks a lot!
your parents age will play a part in your choices also.I would read beekeeping for dummies to start.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts