Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second year keep here. I have 1 hive started last year from package, 2 hives started last year from cut out's. 1 of the cutouts is 2 in deeps and getting very large. the other cutout is in 1 deep and 1 med really taking off now, and package from last year is in 1 deep and 1 med a little slower but is starting to crank it up now. My question is, I would like to make as much honey as possible while also expanding my numbers. The large colony i'm going to have to do something with or i'm afraid they will swarm. I have already supered the large colony and the package colony with foundation. What is the best way to both of my objectives.
Vance

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
take a frame or two of capped brood with bees (no queen) from each hive depending on strength and place in a nuc box or hive body, add a frame w/eggs. They will make their own queen from the eggs/young larva. Called a walk away split. Taking a small number of frames from each hive will not hurt your honey production.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
When is your main nectar flow?

If you were here in Ohio, it is still early and you can split and still make honey. I would put a queen excluder in between the deeps in the double deep, and an excluder between the deep and medium. In 3 days, come back and inspect for eggs. Give a mated queen to whichever box has no eggs.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
As mentioned, if you want a decent honey crop from your parent hive, while expanding numbers, the walk away split is your best bet. Take a minimum number of frames from the donor hive, replace with drawn comb if you have it. That doesn't delay them as much as foundation or foundationless would.
Then you have the option of letting your splits raise a queen, or introducing a laying queen to the split. If you introduce a laying queen to the split, you'll be able to build that split up much quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts