Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks, I'm in the process of cleaning up some hive boxes and frames I was given. Nearly all of the super boxes had wax foundation. My hive I had last year had plastic foundation. I'd imagine it would be ok to put the plastic foundation in the frame that had wax without any issues? I've been cleaning out the mouse nest, and pulling the loose wires out of the frames. Most of the wax was eaten or very brittle. Where is the best place to get shallow and medium super foundation? :s

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would support the closest bee supply near me. Mann Lake has free shipping on orders over $100. If you want to save on shipping. Remember wax foundation isn't usually shipped in cold weather. It boils down to preference and location. I will say avoid duragilt foundation it's junk. Find what works for you. But more importantly what your bees prefer.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I dropped using wax foundation long ago. It is a big pain in the #@! I have found that my bees will draw out waxed black plastic foundation on wood frames as fast and in many cases faster than wax foundation. The nice thing about black foundation is that is make seeing eggs so much easier, if the SHB's and wax moths booger up the frame you just scrape it off with your hive tool and if you want to start over clean, pressure wash it clean and rewax with a roller or brush. You almost cannot put too much wax on the plastic foundation sheet as the nurse bees will utilize it in place or move it to where they need it. I used to build my own frames using wax foundation which was VERY labor intensive. Now I buy my frames from Mann Lake 4 pallets at a time and they are slightly cheaper than what it cost me to build my own. Try a box of 30 the next time Mann Lake has them on sale.

The other thing I DO NOT like about wax foundation is that you have NO IDEA where it has been, the chemical residues that may be in it or what if any diseases the wax may be harboring. Too many beekeepers are either ignorant of or abuse applications of chemical treatments which DO in more than a few case leave chemical residues in the wax. I have even had cases of bees wax foundation that was adulterated with paraffin wax sent to me by Mann Lake which they promptly requested return of and replaced free of charge with their apologies.

Oh......almost forgot. Another thing I hate about wax foundation is the tendency for it to explode into a mess inside the extractor if you dare spin it even moderately fast. With plastic foundation you can usually spin it wide open full speed provided you properly balance the load inside the extractor which allows your to extract the maximum amount of honey from each frame, reducing waste.

These are what I use:

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-al...-frames-with-waxed-black-rite-cell-case-of-20

Mann Lake even printed the our apiary name and state apiary number on each frame for a very modest charge.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,785 Posts
I have just started using Acorn black plastic foundation that I purchase from Brushy Mountain in my supers for the same reasons Live Oak stated. If your frames are wedge top/divided bottom, you will probably need to nail through the top of the plastic foundation to hold it in place. If purchasing new frames, you want grooved top/grooved bottom. The foundation can be popped in once the frames are glued and dried, but I find it easier to install the foundation and then glue and nail the bottom bar on. As far as the brood chambers, I am giving foundationless a go next year. The bees drew out some really nice comb for me this year on starter strips that was straighter than the foundation comb. And they are able to draw out the size cell they want, typically more drone comb in the corners which duh, gets filled with nectar later in the season.

I would not recommend the one piece all plastic foundation unless you can find the Ceracell stuff. All the others are SHB hiding places.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Live oak , did Mann Lake offer any kind of explanation of how the paraffin wax got into there wax foundation and also how were you able to detect the paraffin wax in the foundation .

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use the mann lake black foundation. I cut a lot of the foundation in half, giving the bees foundation in the center, open on the ends. We use that as a opening the brood nest method. Also in the honey supers they draw beautiful comb honey on the ends.

Always rewax the foundation, the bees have no issue drawing it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. I orders some black foundation last night. After I get some frames cleaned up, I'll start putting them in and getting them ready for spring.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Live oak , did Mann Lake offer any kind of explanation of how the paraffin wax got into there wax foundation and also how were you able to detect the paraffin wax in the foundation .
Yes they did. A "customer" was ordering wax foundation from Mann Lake who would take the real bees wax foundation out and replace it with bogus paraffin wax foundation that he made, returning it to Mann Lake for a refund. Mann Lake caught him doing this and thought then had removed the adulterated stock but had apparently missed one case. When I opened the this case, I noticed that the color was off and that the wax was cracked and broken throughout the case even though it had been carefully layered with tissue from the original wax that this low life "customer" had re-used from the original wax. The other thing that due my attention was an old mailing label with the name and address of the douche bag who did this. As soon as a mentioned the name on the label to the Mann Lake representative on the phone, they immediately knew who he was and told me what had happened.

Mann Lake immediately shipped me a new case of wax foundation which they inspected first and asked me to return the adulterated wax. It sounded to me like Mann Lake may have been prosecuting this cesspool of a human being. It NEVER ceases to amaze me, the depths of which humans will sink to in order to gain something for nothing.

Mann Lake is an excellent company. I highly recommend them. They ALWAYS stand behind their products, bend over backward for the customer, and go the extra mile even if it costs them to do it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
live oak all I can say is wow !! I can't believe someone would would do that , I have had great service with mann lake , there sales are really good and you can save alot of money especially if you can buy quantity .

·
Registered
841 Posts
Mann lake is the only place I buy from. We get our stuff within a few days, hardly ever have less than a 100 dollar order so always free shipping. There it is at my door.

The few mistakes in boxing, one phone call, the missed item is at my door almost overnight. Happens very seldom. Customer service knows what customer service means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts