Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have one hive and am looking to start two more. Here in Virginia we have a reasonably strong honey flow for a good while. It seems that all of the package bees are sold out for this year, is there anywhere to look!? What about the possibility of starting with nucs, they don't seem sold out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Packages are most likel;y gone for this season.You have to order early like dec or jan.Nucs would be good if you can find one.try a local guy if you know one close he may sell you a nuc or hive.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Austin,

You could try a cut down split with the hive you have. Do a search on it, Michael Bush explains it rather well and the logic behind it.

This is my first year with bees, so know I couldn't explain it clearly.

Pugs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pugs, the only problem is this hive is actually really new, I the first brood hasn't even hatched yet, and if I can I was going to add some more bees to the it also, because the population is kindof low. Thanks though, I guess my last chance is finding an apiary in Maryland that has nucs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey try michigan there are breeders here that still have them or what you could do is look swarms lol its not to hard to catch them from what i hear

·
Registered
457 Posts
Austin,

You can get the word out that you'd like to pick up some swarms. The VP of our local club talked me into getting on the list and he's called me twice this month. I combined the swarms, since the first one wasn't doing well at all. They never found the feeder and I think a bunch were lost to starving. Now they are going great with the extra bees, better weather and a flow starting.

Some advice on getting them. Ask for easy ones first. The two I've gotten I didn't even need a ladder. Actually one of them would have been easier with a stool to sit on.

Get something better than paper bags to catch them in. The bags work, but they tend to fold up just when you knock the branch and the bees fall to the ground.

Take a spray bottle of sugar water with you. Spray the bees a bit, they don't fly as much and it gives them something to do while you're trying to get them all.

It is fun and free bees (well your time and the cost of gas).

As Tom Peterson says "Free is a very good price." )Those who lived in Portland Oregon in the mid 70s to the early 90s will get the joke.)

Pugs

·
Registered
18 Posts
pakage bees

Hi, I have one hive and am looking to start two more. Here in Virginia we have a reasonably strong honey flow for a good while. It seems that all of the package bees are sold out for this year, is there anywhere to look!? What about the possibility of starting with nucs, they don't seem sold out.
Autain try olivarez honey bees
www.ohbees.com he might still hae pakeage there the last time check with him
they where into may onthere package you can start hive from nuc just by taken
a split or shacken bees into the nuc with some brood andlet them rise there own
queen or you can split just the bees with out queen but brood
and ordering a new queen jerry robnett

·
Registered
597 Posts
Try Rossman apairies.
I just ordered some foundation and hive parts, pretty sure they still have packages for sale. They put one 3# package on my invoice that I didn't order , which I corrected.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Ya recon Austin never found bees since 2005??? :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts