Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased and received my new vaporizer from Joerg at Columbia seed up here in Canada and nice unit by the way. I have seen a few posts that I could find about drilling the hole at the back of the bottom box or ? and wondered what the common belief is before I drill all mine out. Also, do we still put a towel or closure over the front for a few minutes or just give er and move to the next. Thanks for any input, Jack

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I drilled a hole (only large enough to fit the vaporizer tube) in the lip or top part on the rear side of the bottom board. I do try to block the entrance for a few minutes ...unless I'm in a hurry. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I assume you're talking about a provap 110 or similar unit.

I drilled mine 1/4" hole, just under the handhold, dead center. Be careful when treating not to stop up the tube with propolis. A golf tee is nice for clearing the hole in the box the second time around. Also be careful to to not hold it against a frame inside the hive. Both things can cause the cap to pop up, spraying vapor into your face. Wear the respirator.

I use a paper towel stuffed in the entrances during and for 8-10 minutes after treatment.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Or, you can vaporize into the entrance and not drill holes at all. Block around the unit and leave covered for a period of time if you like. I generally leave one blocked until the next is in process, then move move the rags in preparation to move on to the third.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I will agree that you should not drill holes in the boxes. I did but wish I had not. It is easy enough to leave a small opening at the front entrance and use it instead. If you have inner covers, you can do the same from the top.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
I assume you're talking about a provap 110 or similar unit.

I drilled mine 1/4" hole, just under the handhold, dead center. Be careful when treating not to stop up the tube with propolis.
Bad move IMO. You’re shooting it most likely into a sidebar.
I drill mine into the BB so that the vapors flow under and up through the frames.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Bad move IMO. You’re shooting it most likely into a sidebar.
I drill mine into the BB so that the vapors flow under and up through the frames.
The frame sidebars are thinner at the bottom half. From the fog that leaks thru the nooks and crannies of the hive for the 10 minutes it's sealed, I'm pretty happy with the coverage. My pallets only have a 1/2" rim under the box, so 1/4" hole really wouldn't work to well there. Also would make it too close to the ground to be handy, and grass fires are more of a concern.

Guess it's just whatever you need. Different strokes for different folks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts