Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Northeast Ohio and I'm wondering if anyone has tips on where to find inexpensive sugar to feed my bees. Thanks!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Aldi's, dollar general store, and my local grocery store are are fairly comparable here. the local grocery store gets 4 lb bags on sale for $1.39 at least once a month. Aldi's and dollar general are slightly more expensive, but both are cheaper than walmart.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know about your local area, but perhaps my experience will help.

We decided to buy about 100 pounds of sugar, which isn't enough to get a bulk price on in our area, and there wasn't a group buy going on. We expected that buying in a 25 or 50 pound bag would be cheaper, but when we checked, we discovered the warehouse club prices on 25 and 50 pound bags was the same per pound as 5 pound bags in most of the grocery stores. Surprisingly, in some stores larger bags actually cost more per pound than smaller bags. Nobody seemed to have a sale going on, so we went with the grocery store that had the lowest per-pound price.

We figure we have enough to take our two hives through the year, and for next year will be jumping on the opportunity if our local group does a group buy.

My point? Make sure you do the math. The places you expect to be cheapest may not be.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Certainly not at WalMart! Our local WM store sells sugar at $0.65+/ lb., while the local Dillons (Kroger) is around $0.45-$0.50. They are the best deal in this area, anyway. Those of you in ornear metro areas have more options that we do.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My wife just bought 10 - 4lb bags of sugar from Aldi in Fort Worth for $1.69 .43 a pound, not too bad.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I don't know if it makes a difference, but Aldi's sugar here is beet sugar, not cane sugar.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Village Market (grocery store) in Wellington has it on sale for $1.99 for a 5 lb. bag once in a great while . . . just be sure to leave me some! I've also bought 4 lb. bags on sale for 1.99 once in awhile just about everywhere else. I stock-up on the 5 pounders when I can. Christmas cookie making season seems to be the best time to get the best prices on sugar around here.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Costco in GR has Michigan Beet granulated sugar. I paid 2.05 a pound. You can get it in 25 or 50 pound bags. Not as good as Aldi it sounds like.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't know if it makes a difference, but Aldi's sugar here is beet sugar, not cane sugar.
According to Michael Bush's website, it makes no difference at all if it's cane or beet.

One should never feed unrefined sugar: powdered, brown because the bees cannot handle the solids. I don't know if Mexican cane sugar is refined or not but would like to know for sure.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Costco has been the lowest price, consistently, in thes parts.... generally around 24.00 or so for a 50# bag. Plus, the cashiers don't look at you funny when you roll up with that much sugar in your cart! ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts