Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can purchase bumblebees? I realize that they're endangered, so I'd like to help them along. The merchant should preferably be in MD, or at least close to MD. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
They're not all endangered. I do not know where you can buy them, but the ones you can buy are definitely not endangered.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Here is one merchant:

I have no experience with that company, and simply found them through a websearch. The search phrase "Bumble Bees (Natupol®)" seems to generate a variety of possible vendors.[

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
I do not know where you can buy them.
A quick Google search turned up a bunch of results. You may want to narrow down what type you're looking for, by what's perhaps native to your region.
"Bumblebee" is a term that describes A LOT of species.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Are any of your plants flowering yet? I see dozens of bumble bees every day on my redbud trees. Blue salvia, dahlias, bee balm (Monarda), any of the winter greens (rapeseed, turnips, mustard, collards) is left to flower, crimson clover are some of the plants that will attract bumble bees.
There may be many bumble bees already around you that would be attracted if there were food sources for them.
Also look into making a mason bee house or buying one, simple to do and will attract native bees.
This site says commercially raised bumble bees will spread Nosema to the wild populations. Threats & Conservation Efforts | Xerces Society
Maryland's native bees:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts