Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know of a good source of bucket feeders. Just plain buckets, not the ones with the screens. I bought mannlakes 1 gallon pails last year but decided 2 gallons would be better. Also the bees can suck syrup from around the rim on the outside which causes robbing. I'm willing to pay a premium if it means i'll get many years of service out of it. Also, for those of you that use plugs to fill your buckets up, what kind and where should i get those. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I don't know if this helps put I just buy empty, one gallon paint cans from the hardward store. I drill small holes in the lids and fill them up. I can easily fit two on top of an inner cover and propped up by small sticks. I put an old deep super on top and a top cover on that. It's quick and easy and cheap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dadant does have the 2 gallon buckets. Use several to remote feed in my home yard. Got the idea from Dadant as they stack 3 to 4 high on a pallet when the nucs are in. bucket blows off stack when empty, easy to tell when time to reload.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The bakery at Sams club gets there frosting is 2 gallon buckets. They ask that you leave a donation for charity. I've asked a few times and usually score 25 with lids.
You'll get a couple that leak like you described. I fill them all with water and set them upside down on the lid on a concrete pad and let them sit in the sun for a couple days. Most settle in and seal.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Have you tried looking for buckets in your yellow pages? Or doing a web search for plastic bucket suppliers?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried looking for buckets in your yellow pages? Or doing a web search for plastic bucket suppliers?
No I was hoping someone would have found an ideal bucket for the purpose, so i could skip the trial and error portion of the search.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Were you here in NY you could get them from Wixson Honey Inc, Dundee, NY for $3.00 plus. Jerry gets his jars from Gamber Container, Lancaster,PA, so maybe that's where his gallon buckets come from too.

How many do you want? Maybe Jerry would ship them to you. [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts