Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Health food or natural food stores. Raley's or Bel Air may have it in their natural food sections, I've not looked there but they might. Amazon.com and Walmart.com both have it as brewers yeast powder, online only, Walmart only carries it in store as capsules to take as nutritional supplement. Is what I've found doing a quick search on the internet.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can't remember where i found it online, probably through amazon or ebay, but it was packaged and shipped by GNC. I got three 1# containers for a total of $21. I don't know if thats a huge deal or not, but it seemed reasonable to me.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish we had a whole foods near us might be cheaper everything I'm finding is really hi . Mann lake is the cheapest I can find but its in 50 pd. bags , there price is 1.40 per pound . The amazon stuff can run up to 7.00 per pd. It be cheaper to just buy ready made patties , I think Lauri has the market all tied up :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still haven't been able find any brewers yeast locally , any other ideas where I might find it or is a bee supply Co. the best bet . If I have to go with the 50 LB. bag will it keep for a quite awhile just seems so expensive even at 59.95 .

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Word is that the dry powder, loses nutritional value, even if refrigerated or kept at freezer temperatures. I don't know how accurate that is, but I try to use it up as soon as I can, and hope that the old batch is finished, at least a few months before I'm ready to purchase the next batch. I buy one each of brewer's yeast and one of BeePro, then shipping is not an extra. It usually arrives in two or three days after it is ordered.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joe it seems like quite a expense for commercial and hobbyist alike , the commercial guys must spend thousands on the ingredients for supplements and at the same time I see my bee's doing very well without pollen patties . How can they justify the expense , do they see that big of a increase in bee's and honey .

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Feeding pollen supplements is not necessarily about honey. It is about making more bees. If your business includes early pollination, almonds for instance, you need early bees to do that.

Once almond pollination is done, then the commercials can sell those early bees to package producers for more cash.

If you are a backyard beekeeper your use for early bees may be much different than a commercial. If you encourage your bees to raise brood early in the season (with pollen supplement) in a northern area, you risk cold snaps killing brood and more bees that aren't clustered because they are trying to warm the brood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts