Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a classic setup with bottom board, two deeps, excluder, then supers; when adding additional supers does it seem best to just put the new super on top, or perhaps under the existing full super?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
It is done both ways, depending on the beekeeper.

If you can super underneath what honey there already is on the hive the bees will have to travel a shorter distance through the hive to store the honey. But top supering is often the most convenient.

Whatever is the most convenient for you.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I find I have greater success if I bottom super, rather than top super. Esp. with foundation. Bees start working the foundation quicker. They'll finish off the top super, but don't like that great void between them and the top super they've stored honey in.

Some folks think a full super on the bottom acts as a "cap" indicating to the bees they're full, when they're not if empty supers are on top. Granted, I used to top super, as it was easier. Is either way right or wrong? nope, just is... do what you want, and see what works best for you.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bottom supering helps keep the bees from tracking up your wax as much. If your making anything with your cappings this helps keep it cleaner for later.

JMTC.
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts