Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of days where it got down to 22 degrees, then 40s with rain all day, it's sunny and 57 degrees F and the bees are spitting out of their hives. Some are bringing back pollen. Now I can see for myself that goldenrod is just about done and so are the asters. Anywhere else they might be getting it from round these parts?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm on the western slope of the Smokies in TN. Goldenrod and everything is long gone after severe drought and some killing frosts. But we noticed the bees bringing in pollen yesterday as well. No idea where it's coming from. But I'm convinced bees are smarter than us anyway.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Mine bring in pollen throughout the winter....weather permitting. I have absolutely no idea where it comes from.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
638 Posts
The rain can stimulate the forage in the area so if there's anything out there they will find it. I'm still seeing yellow debris on the sticky boards at 3100 elevation and mild winter so far. They are fantastically disinterested in dry pollen sub but snacking happily on their winter pattie. Honestly I feel like a maligned chef sometimes. Do you want this? What about this?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Maybe someone has a pollen feeder out nearby?
I've seen pollen coming in during winter at all of my yards....spaced miles apart, so I'm thinking it isn't likely that there are nearby beekeepers to all of those yards feeding pollen.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Took this pic on the 12th or 13th of this month hundreds or thousands of trees blooming along side road . American witch hazel im in east Tennessee the second picture i took on the 23rd of October a neighbour called said they had bees all over a Camellia bush went and looked and every flower had a yellow jacket or a bee on it

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great responses everyone!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have noticed honey bees in my deer feeder all thru winter on nice days. When my brother in law had bees at his house he said he always noticed bees around his grinder mixer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They're all over the Camellias.
I took these pictures a few days ago.
I'm East of Atlanta in Hart County on the South Carolina border.
I also had a few Tithonias left that the honeys and all the other pollinators were working.

IMG_5165.jpg
IMG_5162.jpg

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that is puzzling? Grains in the feeder?
I have noticed honey bees in my deer feeder all thru winter on nice days. When my brother in law had bees at his house he said he always noticed bees around his grinder mixer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts