Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Where should I put the full frames of honey in a new package?

1303 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Vance G
I had a colony die over winter. I have three new packages coming soon.

The old hive has two deeps, one full of (empty) comb and one that has appx 4 1/2 frames of capped honey, as well as many more partial frames with uncapped syrup.

So with those 20 frames, how do I distribute to each hive? I thought about each hive getting 3 with honey, 3 with drawn comb, 4 brand new frames with foundation. What's your take on this?

Also, if I DO give them the honey frames, where do I put them? Center of the group? On each side of the group?

I can easily take the honey for myself, give each hive 3 frames of drawn comb and 6 new frames. I just don't know what's best.

Thanks,
Jack
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
750 Posts
Your plan sounds fine to me. They'll love the drawn comb and it will help them build a population quickly. Some food will alleviate any need to feed syrup and give them energy to draw the other frames. I'd put a couple drawn frames together in the middle, then a couple new ones, then some honey and comb frames, with the outermost new frames (as they often don't draw that out much anyway).

· Registered
24,666 Posts
I had a colony die over winter. I have three new packages coming soon.

The old hive has two deeps, one full of (empty) comb and one that has appx 4 1/2 frames of capped honey, as well as many more partial frames with uncapped syrup.

So with those 20 frames, how do I distribute to each hive? I thought about each hive getting 3 with honey, 3 with drawn comb, 4 brand new frames with foundation. What's your take on this?

Also, if I DO give them the honey frames, where do I put them? Center of the group? On each side of the group?

I can easily take the honey for myself, give each hive 3 frames of drawn comb and 6 new frames. I just don't know what's best.

Thanks,
Jack
Were they mine, I would put 4 empty combs in the middle, a frame of honey on each side, then a frame of foundation on each side and the outside two frames honey also. Unless you don't have that many frames of honey.

· Registered
8,658 Posts
I am in cold country but I always liked to put a frame with honey right in the middle surrounded with empty brood comb and full frames on the outside where the bees can move it where they need it. If I needed to fill in with foundation frames I put them just inside the outer frame full of honey. As the colony gets established I would move the foundation frames in between two frames of sealed brood where they tend to be drawn very prettily and in a hurry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.