Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've got a couple of the Bee Smart Cover's, they're tough and hollow. Probably will last a long time. I filled mine up with urethane foam to increase the weight and insulating properties. I prefer wooden telescoping covers though- just my opinion. The top screen looks nice, I would get one with screen door size screen to keep out hive beetles. I can't tell the mesh size of the Dadant screen...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I make my equipment, so I have no experience with the items that you have shown. A couple of thoughts occurred though.

The outer cover may be light and more apt to be blown off the hive, is it strong enough to support a weight to prevent that?

I like an inner cover that will accommodate a jar of sugar syrup, and I'm not sure that this one will.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I bought an Ultimate cover recently just to have one in my collection. Nice and lightweight to handle but would blow off without a weight on top, probably a good insulator. Might start looking pretty grungy if it gets dirty. I really wanted to see if it would be good for a comb honey draining tray but it is not, very corrugated inside. Pricier than a standard TC.

·
Registered
641 Posts
One thing to consider: If you remove supers, you'll need to set them down somewhere. An upturned wooden outer cover on the ground is great for this, and provides enough friction so that the super doesn't slip off (my whole yard is on a slope). I'm not sure if that would be an issue with the outer cover you are thinking about and in your setting, but it pays to think ahead.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
One thing to consider: If you remove supers, you'll need to set them down somewhere. An upturned wooden outer cover on the ground is great for this, and provides enough friction so that the super doesn't slip off (my whole yard is on a slope). I'm not sure if that would be an issue with the outer cover you are thinking about and in your setting, but it pays to think ahead.
Good point - this cover is slightly bulging on the top. After years of sun exposure and it getting brittle, you could probably not use it as a bottom for a heavy pile of boxes. And it would slide down a grassy slope.

·
Registered
779 Posts
If nothing else the Bee Smart cover is robust. I just added a new super that is slightly warped so that two corners were not mating snugly with the box below. I put four 1 gallon bottles of water and 4 bricks on top and the cover supports this easily (40+ pounds).

·
Registered
685 Posts
never bought anything but frames...everything else is made by me.
My local supply store does deep box kits for $25 out of good quality wood. I've looked up what it would cost me in time and materials, and I just buy the kits.

I used to balk more at paying for this sort of thing, until I sat down and started looking at it from an angle of "If I were doing this for somebody else, would I do it for this price?" and more often than not the answer is "Nope, I'd charge a lot more than that!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts