Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my garage but spend a lot of time cleaning before we set up for extracting . I even power wash the floor but I would prefer a room just dedicated to this purpose and was wondering where type of places others use.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My garage works well, but I find it easier to just clean the kitchen. It usually needs a bit of tidying anyway. Oh, and it will need to be cleaned afterward, too.

If my hobby turns into something more, I will build a honey house. That's a long way off, if it happens at all. There are several threads here about their design.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
To date, my extracting has been two deep frames at a time using a crush and strain method. It's happening in the kitchen. I have a maxant 3100P that I hope to use this fall. It will be done in the garage. I will clean the floors, lay down a polyethylene paint cover and give it a go.

At âge 75, I don't even think of a honey house. That would be too abusive of my children's inheritance, and I don't want to work that hard. :):)

·
Registered
693 Posts
A large garden shed. When the lawn mower and snow blower are removed, there's plenty of room for helpers. A large sheet of rubber covers the floor. The extractor is a manual Kelley 200 Two frame.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Why in the milk house of course! I live on a dairy farm. The cows have been gone for years, and the milk house has a cement floor that is smooth as silk from years of scrubbing. The walls are covered with 1/4" thick fiberglass sheeting. as well as the ceiling. all the lights are recessed and sealed in gasketed glass, the electric outlets are in water proof enclosures. It has stainless steel counters, and shelves. Plenty of water at great pressure, and even a 1000 gallon bulk tank should I decide I need it. (That would hold 12000 pounds of honey!) I could not have had a custom built honey shack that would be any better.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Kitchen and dining area together.
I have a patio door at dining room where I drive up to patio (not enclosed) and reverse shop vac to blow out any remaining bees in supers. Inside door I have several commercial size cookie trays where I put the supers. I use the dining room table for decapping tank and the super I'm extracting, again super is on a cookie sheet. I have an empty cookie sheet for the extracted supers. Took me a couple seasons to get a good system figured out, and the commercial cookie trays are fantastic for preventing mess everywhere.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The solarium as it is warm, well screened has a cement floor with a drain.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Garage. One good tip is to put a couple of wet towels on the floor and have a couple others handy. Makes it easy to clean up any spills and keep the bottom of your shoes clean.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why all of the focus of clean, clean, clean? If you're spinning it and then filtering it though a bucket, does it really matter if your garage is hospital room clean? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd still prefer not to get sawdust, dead wasps, and dog hair in it. I have a plastic table cloth I put over my counter to make clean up easier. When I'm done, I hang it outside for the bees to lick clean, then wipe it down.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Why all of the focus of clean, clean, clean? If you're spinning it and then filtering it though a bucket, does it really matter if your garage is hospital room clean? Am I missing something here?
Well, Uber, it is food. Just be thankful that no one is coming around to check on how clean your facility is, because you are too small to bother.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I run my two frame homemade extractor with a cordless drill. It's pretty common for me to set up beside the tailgate of my truck a few feet from the hives. I pull two likely looking frames, extract and put them right back in. Repeat until I run out of frames, buckets or ambition.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Too many jobs in the food industry have taught me that contamination can be just a small, unexpected step away. Even if you think there is no possible way in which a problem could occur.

I suppose that across the forum, we deal with a variety of regulations. In Ohio honey (and sorghum and maple syrup) is exempted from rules that apply to cottage food production and food processing facilities. Inspection of facilities is optional. But if a complaint is filed, be it baseless or not, then inspection is mandatory.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I suppose that across the forum, we deal with a variety of regulations. In Ohio honey (and sorghum and maple syrup) is exempted from rules that apply to cottage food production and food processing facilities. Inspection of facilities is optional. But if a complaint is filed, be it baseless or not, then inspection is mandatory.
Pete,

I think the Maple regulations may have changed. A local maple syrup producer ended up quitting this year due to increased regulations. He told me the costs made it prohibitive to continue. He tore down his sugar house over the past couple of weeks. He had planted several acres of sugar maples that are just getting up to tapping size.

I didn't ask him about the details. It makes me wonder if the exemption for honey will go away soon.

Tom

1 - 20 of 75 Posts