Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I started to check my hives and found some open queen cells on the bottom of the frames in the upper deep. This is on a hive I started from a package this spring. They are a Italian/Carniolan Mix from Khoenen. This has till now been a very good and productive queen laying a good pattern. I presently have 2 deeps and a super on them. I took off the honey excluder yesterday to see if it would help them to make honey faster. After seeing the open queen cells which I think were swarm cells today I decided to dig into the bottom deep and this is when I discovered there were no eggs or larve and only a couple cappped brood and a small cluster of drone cells. Will all of the brood hatch out before the new queen starts to lay. I couldn't find a queen so I moved a frame of eggs to them from another hive so at least they will have the resources to make a queen if the one from the swarm cells didn't make it.
This is my first swarm I think. Does this sound normal?

Thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was under the impression that a first year package was unlikely to if not sure not to swarm since they are in the "establishment mode"? At least you will know if you have a queen or not by putting the frame of eggs and brood in the hive. In my area, with the colder evenings coming on, my queens appear to be really slowing down. The patterns look kind of shotty and there are very few eggs. Everything else looks normal to me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts