Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:
Title pretty much says it all. I need only a small amount since I have < 10 hives. If any one you know where I can purchase please let me know. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
11,183 Posts
BT is very pest specific. The BT variety that are the 'donuts' sold in the big box stores are likely Bt variety israelensis, which targets mosquito larva, and won't help with wax moths. The recommended Bt variety for wax moths is aizawai, which generally is not found in most big box stores.

More info in the FAQ forum here: http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...giensis-biological-control-of-wax-moth-larva)

Note that the Bt product linked in post #2 of this thread is Bt variety aizawai. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
It has to be the azawaii strain of BT, as far as I know the stuff at the hardware stores is not the proper type.
Read the lable!!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
you can share the 1lb. bag from amazon with a few friends. That's how I do it.

Better yet, share a 5 pound bag!

Crop Production Services in Fancher, NY sells XenTari-BT for $18.55 per lb. (5# bag) and Agree WG BT is currently $15.50 per lb. (5# bag).

Crop Production Services #2519
3560 Hindsburg Rd.
PO Box 206
Fancher, NY 14452

Phone: 585-589-6330

Note: Not all dealers carry the XenTari-BT or Agree WG BT. A regional sales representative helped to locate the product.

http://www.cpsagu.com/map/Default.aspx

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can share the 1lb. bag from amazon with a few friends. That's how I do it.
Unfortunately I really have no one to share with. Last time I bought it from someone online at beesource "Sundance." and he sold me a small amount for $15.00 plus shipping- that was a few years ago and I believe the stuff only has a 1 year shelf life. Does anyone know the shelf live of the dry powder?I still have some but it is several years old (3 or 4) and not sure if it is still effective. If anyone of you have some could you please check the shelf life of it. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
If anyone of you have some could you please check the shelf life of it. Thank you!!!
The Crop Production Services representative I spoke with said that the bt's viability is reduced by 10% after a year. I believe that 10% was the figure he used.

I suspect that increasing the dosage after a few years could make up for the reduction in "potency".

There isn't any mention of a shell life / use by date on the XenTari-BT label.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts