Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a youtube video and I like this feeder because you can just slide the black part through the follower board of the Top Bar Hive. Does anyone know where I can get this model online?
photo.jpg

·
Registered
721 Posts
Brushy Mountain carries them. I have some, they are great to promote robbing. The little dip in the center allows access from the outside which draws the crowd. I used them about 3 days before I figured out it was not a good idea.

I feed from the top now, always, over the hole in the inner cover and block all access to it from the outside world to prevent robbing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jdmidwest, I'm just going to use this type feeder for my top bar hive after I install a package this spring. The black piece can slide through my follower board. I'll be using hive top feeders for my langstroth hives too.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I thought they would be a great thing for the langs, but there is that little dip in the top lip that prevents a full seal. It was enough for other bees to find and get excited to the point of robbing. Even with entrance reducers, it was all out battle.

They should work if you only have a hive or two and don't have any problem with robbing. They did not leak and are a breeze to clean. Very few bees drown in them. I have some of both sizes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have like 10 of them because you get a break from Brushy Mountain at ten. They do cause robbing. About the only way that I can use them is to put an empty box on top and place them on the frames. It can be kind of awkward, one day, I bumped one just right and the bottom came off and dumped all over the bees inside, not once, but a couple of times. Yes, I was supporting it, but the bump was enough to break the seal. I bought some top feeders after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts