Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find the larger SHB traps like the one in the photo. Most seem to be smaller with two chambers. My SHB pressure is very high. (Maryland)
Plant Wood Branch Terrestrial plant Twig

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,167 Posts
The last ones I got were from Kelleys a couple of years ago.

Looking around I only found the two compartment ones, even from Miller who makes them.

Check this site out though..........

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What are you using for bait?
Success rate?

Not having much luck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Success rate?

Not having much luck.
I use canola oil with a little bit of apple vinegar on top. I get about 5-10 beetles a week. 3 traps in the upper corners of the box. I also squash any I see. And put the Swiffer pads in the corners.
The best results were from using nematodes:
But it takes a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success rate?

Not having much luck.
I use mineral oil mixed with apple cider vinegar to attract them. I also use Swiffer pads. Frankly, they (swiffer pads) work better but my pressure is so high I have been adding a beetle trap on each box also. It's more of a pain than the Swiffer pads but I am concerned about the high number of beetles in my hives. They are partly shaded and also near a farm where they raise mellons. I assume the leftover or broken mellons may be contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use canola oil with a little bit of apple vinegar on top. I get about 5-10 beetles a week. 3 traps in the upper corners of the box. I also squash any I see. And put the Swiffer pads in the corners.
The best results were from using nematodes:
But it takes a while.
Thanks. I am going to try Nematodes next season. I have been using Guardstar as a soil treatment and figure that would kill the nematodes. How often do you apply the nematodes?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.......

been using swifter pads for a couple of years and they are hit and miss in different hives.
Was given a recipe for apple cider vinegar and liquid soap, seemed to dry up too quick, less than a week and could not tell if I got any beetles.

What recipe do you use?

I hate the beetle traps but hate the beetles more. Was looking at the nematodes also, looks easy enough to use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a recipe. Probably mix 3:1 oil and vinegar. Must shake well each time you pour as it separates.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.......

been using swifter pads for a couple of years and they are hit and miss in different hives.
Was given a recipe for apple cider vinegar and liquid soap, seemed to dry up too quick, less than a week and could not tell if I got any beetles.

What recipe do you use?

I hate the beetle traps but hate the beetles more. Was looking at the nematodes also, looks easy enough to use.
I just fill the traps halfway with the canola oil and then just a little bit of vinegar.
Nematodes are best applied in the fall or spring.
This is the original study done in 2010. It is a pdf file. https://ent.uga.edu/content/dam/cae...images/research-archives/NematodesJEE2010.pdf

I just saw this one from 2021:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Thanks for the links, but that kind of reading is a little above my pay grade ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts