Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just a quick question from south central Ontario, Canada. Checked on the "girls" today for the first time and was thrilled at the numbers and amount of honey still available in the supers ( 2 deep) I was puzzled however, at the amount of new pollen that was being brought in, about 60% returning bees had pollen sacs full, as well, lots of comb is filled with what appears to be new nectar. Nothing is in bloom here, not colts foot, not basswood, nada, nothing. While I am pleased that they are finding all this good stuff I have no idea where it's coming from.:scratch: I know the Sugar Maples have started to bud but that's about all. Wondered if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
447 Posts
Do you have any livestock operations near you?
Right before things started to bloom here this year, bees were raiding my bird feeder for the corn dust. They were chucking corn and other feed out at an amazing rate. If you had a feed lot or hog/ poultry farm near you, they might be gathering the feed dust.
That is of course a wild guess.
RKR
After thought: Also could be Willow, they are supposed to start a bit before Maple here in MO

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Guessing they are in the Salix genus, Willows, pussywillow earliest. The catkins are not immediately obvious as a flower. Check out the waterways.

·
Registered
281 Posts
locally i thought the same thing in nova scotia. I went for a wal around and found lots of pussy willows with bees and also some small yellow flowers, i think they are called dragons beard. There were only a few in my yard that i saw the first day, the next day i was along the main highways and there were all kinds of them. If you go for a walk around i bet you'll find something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts