Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation my hives are configured with two 9 inch brood boxes, the queen seems to be laying eggs in both the top brood box and the bottom brood box both but she don’t seem to filling out either brood box completely. Here is my question should she be predominantly laying eggs in the top or bottom brood box and should I even worry about it.
Thanks
Jay T

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Depending on the age/population of your hive. The queen will only lay eggs that can be covered by bees. In this case as the population grows so does the brood nest. Maybe that explains it?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
but she don’t seem to filling out either brood box completely.

What does that mean? Are you expecting the queen to lay every frame full of eggs, from one side of the box to the other?

In a 10 frame box, often the outside frames are unused if the bees have room above them.

Here is my question should she be predominantly laying eggs in the top or bottom brood box and should I even worry about it.

Don't worry about it.

The queen will often lay in the top box since the heat from the brood in the bottom box rises, and it's easier for bees to raise brood in the warmest part of the hive. Once the queen fills the top box and the bees start storing some nectar there, she will go back down into the bottom box and lay eggs there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts