Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hive is about a month old and has no capped honey. Is that normal? When bees are 12-17 days old one of their jobs is to ripen honey, once there is bees that age will they start capping it? They have plenty of non-capped nectar btw.

·
Registered
718 Posts
When they are ready. Bees never work on our timeline, they have their own. It can take a few months just for the hive to build up population and draw comb. The initial effort will be honey that needs top stay with the bees. What kind of hives do you have?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 Langstroth 8 frames and one 10 frame. Only one 8 frame is inhabited though. Maybe going to split if the colony builds up enough which if they keep going the way they are should!

·
Registered
718 Posts
You are a long way from enough bees for a split. I'd suggest that you focus on getting the two 8 frames as a single hive filled out and get to a couple of honey supers. Then start planning splits once you get some experience under your belt. I'm not sure of your flows out there, but don't even consider a split until you hit a major nectar flow. Good luck-maybe MtnMyke can chime in, he's a moderator here and out your way.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Really depends on your flow and your weather.

In Santa Cruz my hives will fill 4-5 supers full of nectar from Feb - May. They won't cap it until it warms up and the humidity drops to where they can ripen it. I'm just now starting to see capped honey and my hives are massive.

Asking a new hive to give you honey in the first month, yet alone the first year, can be asking a lot.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
3 things need to happen, whether because of weather or hive strength or nectar flows...
The cell has to be full, they won't cap partially filled cells.
The nectar has to be ripened, or dried out enough.
The bees are not needing it to feed brood.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Honey produced from seasonal flower sources may never get capped after that flower stops blooming. I have a couple that just sit all summer sitting uncapped gettting dryer and dryer until they are like a stiff gel that does not want to extract at all. This might be what you are seeing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts