Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got finished installing 4 new packages. I decided to direct release the queen since they were in boxes with their queens for days. I figure they kinda dig her by now. It all went off without a hitch.... I think. I have hive top feeders on all the hives now and they are all in a row with about 2 feet between them and my existing hive in the middle. When can I expect them to settle down? At the moment they are all flying around and even some bearding going on around the entrance. It all looks very chaotic as I can pretty much understand that they were and are under a great deal of stress. Just curious as to when normalcy should be restored? also, when can I expect to see eggs? I am concerned about 1 of the queens as she was a bit lethargic when she left her cage(she just did not look right to me). I plan on inspecting NEXT weekend to see how things are going in the hives and was wondering if I could expect to see eggs and/or larvae by then. as always, thank you for your time.

todd

ps. only 1 sting during that whole installation and it was on the tip of my finger when installing the last entrance reducer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could take up to 24 hours for the bees to calm down. I would check for eggs in about 4-5 days. I assuming they will need to build some comb and collect some pollen and nectar. You don't want to bother them too much after installing packages or they may abandon the hive.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks joe. I wont be able to check them until next saturday so no chance of disrupting them. And yes, it is all brand new foundation. Hopefully I will see eggs by saturday.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just tossed in 20 packages. Some are more exited than others after install. Some bearded, but stuck. I left my queens caged as they were just shook the day before install. Direct released the queens a few days later. A day or two after install, they started orientating, looking, and acting normal. We are in a flow, so after a week I had fesh wax.

Also did you spray them with syrup on install? I've found it really helped to keep them from flying. I also noted the hives that I sprayed, did not beard. I did forget to spray a few.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey click,

No, I had tossed around the idea of spraying them down and asked around and got mixed opinions (surprise surprise lol) I didn't really have any 1:1 mix to spare so, I let that decide for me. I only got about a gallon per feeder, and I have to make up more tonight, as I am sure they will gulp that right up.

thanks for checking in,

todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts