Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my bee phermones in and im thinking it would be pointless to even use until the bees start swarming. what do you think? i live in virginia

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would think until they start swarming, yes, it would be pointless. When do swarms in your area start to pop? Swarms are popping over here left and right, and I have a couple of swarm traps out using the pheromone lures, and a couple others using LGO. So far I've struck out with both of those. I had a swarm come to my house and land on my roof, and had one of my hives swarm two days later. Neither went to the traps. So right now I am losing faith in them. I hopefully you will have better luck.

Craig

·
Registered
188 Posts
I put one up in summer of 2008, and never caught anything, left it there over winter and got one in the spring..

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I heard of a 2/14 swarm near here and the first one I caught was on 3/10. Better too early than too late. And I caught one yesterday in a funky bait that had been out two previous seasons.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not sure when the swarms start, im just a beginner trying to get some free bees. i went ahead and put one in my empty hive today, and the package it came in into another. stuff smells just like lemongrass oil to me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
all he manufactures of swarm lure, do mix lemongrass oil, with the other ingredients. Mann Lake has 2 ampules in a small envelope. One ampule has the pheromone in it, and the other has the lemongrass oil in it. They claim that it reduces effectiveness, if the 2 are mixed.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The best time to use bee lures is at a social gathering or party. People are fascinated with bees and incidentally, beekeepers. Questions and conversations enough to entertain the crowd.

If you are single, you will have to employ serious tactics to discourage amorous moves by the opposite sex.

No lemon pledge required just a few well chosen stories.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you have a suggestion as to where to place the lure? under the arms perhaps, or maybe around the neck area? how much is too much? would you suggest putting some under the covers to help lure the unsuspecting ladies into bed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you recommend put the swarm lure in a hive or a trap. I would love to save money and put it in the hive instead of a trap if possible. I am new and missed the season for purachasing bees.

·
Registered
668 Posts
tkendrick,

You can still get bees if you are willing to drive a bit.

Skinner Apiaries is only 155 miles from you and he indicated that he will drive 50miles to deliver as few as 1 nuc. If you met him along the route - you would have to drive 3 hours total for a nuc.

Check him out on the forum:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241020

Jesuslives also has packages, but he is a little further away in Georgia - his listing is right below Skinners on the 'For Sale' forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks, I looked at the distance on Google Maps. Let me think about this. I also emailed someone else on the forum to see if they are driving by on their route to drop off bees. Thanks for alerting me to the for sale section. I am new to these forums.

·
Registered
687 Posts
There was a swarm in Dublin, VA last week. That is only 1/2 hour from you. I have seen swarms here in Blacksburg April 30. Especially with some of the early warm weather we have had, you are ready to put your traps out. Some people say the scout bees will be taking notice for up to one month ahead of the swarm.

Good luck.

Richard

·
Registered
290 Posts
There was a swarm in Dublin, VA last week. That is only 1/2 hour from you. I have seen swarms here in Blacksburg April 30. Especially with some of the early warm weather we have had, you are ready to put your traps out. Some people say the scout bees will be taking notice for up to one month ahead of the swarm.

Good luck.

Richard
I'm in Texas at the minute, helping Dear Texas Daughter get her house painted & bathroom remodeled, and the second I get back to Virginia this weekend, I'm putting together more traps and getting them distributed. I've had one out for a couple of weeks, but according to Dear Husband, no snooping around just yet. What exactly is "curb appeal" to bees, anyway?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts