Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 2:1 syrup is for winter stores and 1:1 is for brood rearing but I've seen several mentions of 1:2. When do you use 1:2 and what is it supposed to do?
Thanks for any insight.

Patrick

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I've been told that you should use 2:1 in the fall to help the bees beef up winter stores, then 1:2 in the early spring to stimulate brood rearing, and 1:1 as nectar substitute in periods of dearth.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! So if I start a nuc next month would you recommend feeding 1:1 or 1:2? They will be 5 frame nucs and pierco foundation.

Thanks
Patrick

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Personally I find pollen and adequate stores are the key to stimulation. The 2:1 will have more energy in it and save them having to dehydrate so much, AND it will keep better than the 1:1. That's what I would use.

In the end the bees will use it and do fine regardless of 2:1 1:1 or 1:2. If I'm really TRYING to use it for stimulation, (which as I said deosn't really seem to work well unless they are short on stores) I'm more likely to do 1:2 (1 part sugar to 2 parts water). But if I'm just trying to provide materials and stores I go with 2:1.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've deliberated on this, and seems to me, bees can add water to 2:1 to make it whatever they want. Perhapse if the colony is really weak, or water is far, 1:2 may be helpful. Its alot easier to feed 2:1 when feeding.. say 5 or more hives.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I guess the idea would be that 1:2 is closer to nectar and will move the bees into spring mode quicker. I've tried it but I can't say I noticed anything. Plus here in Ohio you get enough variation in the spring weather that I'm not sure trying to meddle with their start date is such a good idea. That 10 day forcast is only good to remind you of humanity's limits.

I've used 1:2 in the hot summer lulls because I figure they need water as much as sugar and might as well get it in one place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
how does dry sugar fit in to all of this?
I have been using dry sugar for stimmulation and I seem to get results is this true or is it my imagination?

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
>how does dry sugar fit in to all of this?

If the bees have access to sufficient water or moisture, they can melt and consume the dry sugar, but it's more work for them, hence not as readily available as syrup or honey.

This was my first winter with bees and I'm surprised at how dry it is inside my hives, considering how big a problem condensation can be. I suppose this to some extent depends on the climate. There's very little condensation in my hives and I think my bees would be challenged to really deal with dry sugar. I might try a little this weekend and see what they do with it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
my dry sugar was just a mess. Now they aren't eating it since there are flows on, and it is just caked up in what should be brood nest....

don't do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts