Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive with varroa mites and I ordered mite away quick strips. The strips are coming on September the 13th, is it to late to treat bees? If it is to late to treat, then what can I possibly do to treat them?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
OAV (oxolic acid vaporize) them anytime you want. If there is capped brood you'll have to do it several time to get ahead of the mites.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What was your mite count per 100 bees? This is a fine time to treat Formic acid for a quick knock down if really high, maybe followed by an oxalic dribble depending upon the results. If the count was moderate the Formic should do it. But verify with another mite count a week after treatment. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Sooner is better in this season. For most of the chemical treatments you take the supers off first so the honey doesn't get contaminated. Mites build up fast when bee numbers fall in the fall.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
yes, and it's probably the best option right now...from what I can interpret from your post and your mite treatments so far this year.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Yes treat now. Where are you located? If you live in a location where the queen stops brood production for the winter, you need to treat before winter bees are made. In Vermont, I try to get my summer treatment done mid July to mid August. I use formic, so it depends on temps. J

·
Registered
414 Posts
... The strips are coming on September the 13th, is it to late to treat bees? ...
My notions for sewing the answer:
  • exposure
  • 4th week
  • square inches of brood area
  • effectivness of the treatment
And the answer is:
There is a significant negative correlation between the brood area in the fourth week of exposure and the effectivness of the treatment. IMHO,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whether you should have treated earlier in the season or not is a question for you to ponder this winter while you're deciding how to manage mites next year. You'll serve your bees better by treating them now than by not treating at all. As long as the weather is in the proper range for applying the formic acid treatment (above 50 degrees F, and below 85 degrees F for the day you apply it, and over the next couple of days after you apply it) you should effectively kill mites in your hive. If the temperatures are too low in your area to achieve that, you might want to consider an oxalic acid treatment (dribble method or vaporization) for this time of year, and then plan to use the formic acid next year. (Assuming it doesn't expire - Formic Pro lasts longer in storage than Mite Away Quick Strips do.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the daytime highs need to be in the 50’s, but that is not a problem around here, 😂. But check it out to be sure.

·
Registered
686 Posts
50 is the minimum daytime temperature for Formic Pro. Don't worry if it goes below at night, that is fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Personally I am looking at treating 4 times a year.

March x5 OAV every 4th day.
July Apivar strips.
September x5 OAV every 4th day.
December x2 OAV every 4th day.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts