Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pro's and con's of taking the spring honey off after the flow is pretty much over in comparison to leaving it on and extracting only once in the fall .

·
Registered
724 Posts
The pro would be less work if you actually get a fall flow you can harvest from. The con would be you are severely limited in your post flow mite treatment options, if you need them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you leave it on through out the summer the bees will consume a good bit of that yummy spring honey. I like to separate my honey when I can just so I can taste the honey from different areas and seasons.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
This year I harvested mid flow end of may, they filled the comb right back up for another harvest in June. The 2nd harvest I suspect was mostly clover. As you can see im a fan of harvesting sooner rather than later.

Pros to Multiple Harvests
- Exploit seasonal flavors
- Less equipment required
- Quicker refill if you don't have more drawn comb
- Ability to leave just fall flow on or pull it (some people don't like goldenrod and asters)
- Warm prevention??
- Spread out work
- Product is available quicker/sooner ( i sell more honey in summer than winter), therefore honey is gone by winter and does not crystalize.
- Don't have so many **** heavy supers to remove during inspection
- The bees realize they don't have enough honey and their logic about brooding and gathering changes ( Not really sure exactly, could be con too, who knows)

Cons
- Double setup, cleaning time etc but you still have to decap all those frames at some time
- Flow may stop and may not continue until spring. They consume all the honey and you stole the rest.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I missed the flow this past spring as I was just getting started and my nucs were late in coming , I had a good goldenrod flow in the fall and was able to get some honey from one hive . Seems like I would be better off extracting the spring honey if there is any and having some drawn comb for the fall flow , last year was crush and strain so I don't have any drawn comb left . I've been on the hunt for a good used extractor but there a little hard to find , might have to go new .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm trying to extract earlier, toward the end of the main flow, if the honey is CAPPED. I want the ladies to store as much as possible, so I do not have to feed sugar syrup in the fall. I have not fed sugar syrup for the last two years, spring or fall. Lot of beeks pull honey late and then have to feed to get their hives ready for winter.
Swarm after pulling honey? Besides the chance of the new queen not getting mated what are the cons. Pros: new queen going into the fall.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Interesting question. Not all locations get multiple flows per year and not all honey makes good winter feed. So the answer, big surprise, depends heavily on local conditions!

DPSbees raises a very good point about mite treatments. For some you can not have anything intended for human consumption on the hive when you treat.

I tend to harvest twice a year following the spring and fall flows. I understand the logic beekeepers who harvest once a year are following in their effort to take what is truly surplus honey. I mimic this by never harvesting honey from the brood nest - I use double deeps and figure what the bees store there is theirs! Anything they put in the supers is for me! I fin that colonies that make surplus that I harvest rarely need supplemental feeding - they seem to put by for themselves first before putting surplus in the supers.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,990 Posts
>What are the pro's and con's of taking the spring honey off after the flow is pretty much over in comparison to leaving it on and extracting only once in the fall .

Pros:
Easily decide if they need stores for winter.

Cons:
Honey will most likely be completely crystallized making it next to impossible to harvest.
Bees have a larger space to manage over winter where a smaller space will winter better.

But it's not too hard to decide how much to leave them after the fall flow is over...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I missed the flow this past spring as I was just getting started and my nucs were late in coming , I had a good goldenrod flow in the fall and was able to get some honey from one hive . Seems like I would be better off extracting the spring honey if there is any and having some drawn comb for the fall flow , last year was crush and strain so I don't have any drawn comb left . I've been on the hunt for a good used extractor but there a little hard to find , might have to go new .
If you have a bee club near by see if they have an extraction day where you just bring your supers over and extract all your honey into a bucket. The set up and clean time is pretty much the same if you extract one box or 50 boxes.

A guy in my club lets you use his extracting equipment and all he wants is your capping as payment bc his wife uses the wax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts